New toy

Started by kb426, November 08, 2007, 07:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This isn't very important but I'm a little excited. When H.F. announced  their english wheel for $250, I ordered one. They shipped 2 and they never made it to me. Freight damage both times. 6 months have passed. The price has gone up and down several times. It was available for $250 again so I ordered one about a week ago. It arrived today. It's now double boxed. I realize that this is a long way from a good piece of equipment but I know nothing about english wheels. I want to learn and not spend lots of money. After the 32 is finished, I plan on learning how to use the wheel and the planishing hammer I bought a few months ago. If I gain the skills to warrant spending more money, I will.
TEAM SMART

blksheep

Wow,.....a new English Wheel student. Buy lotsa bandaids.
And a new planishing hammer. Your neighbors are gonna be so proud of you!

blksheep...After several crushed fingertips and a hearing impediment, does anybody wanna buy some slightly used metal fab stuff???...in Charlotte

donsrods

I remember seeing Jesse James on Monster Garage using one, and his comment was that english wheels are great for smashing fingertips.  :shock:  :lol:

H***, I have enough trouble staying uninjured with the drill press. :lol:  :lol:

Don

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "kb426"This isn't very important but I'm a little excited. When H.F. announced  their english wheel for $250, I ordered one. They shipped 2 and they never made it to me. Freight damage both times. 6 months have passed. The price has gone up and down several times. It was available for $250 again so I ordered one about a week ago. It arrived today. It's now double boxed. I realize that this is a long way from a good piece of equipment but I know nothing about english wheels. I want to learn and not spend lots of money. After the 32 is finished, I plan on learning how to use the wheel and the planishing hammer I bought a few months ago. If I gain the skills to warrant spending more money, I will.

Dude,, you got an english wheel AND a planishing hammer :!:  :!:

how long did you plan on keeping that little tid-bit to yerself :?:

I got some C-cab fenders you can practice with :idea:

once again Team Smart ROCKS 8)  :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

wayne petty

another rodder with a ups stomp problem

how can you damage an english wheel in shipping... turn a corner a little too fast and have it fly off the shelf ??  i would think that would just put a little more english on it...

i guess they fixed that by double boxing it... maybe ill ask a freind i have who works there..

i too saw the planishing hammer...  i liked the one on american chopper..

oh yea.. hearing protectors... on noisy night around here i sleep in my pair...my wife uses here ever night...  i snore as loud as a unmuffled harley...
these do not have the too tight a fit as the 27 or 29 db versions.. my peltor 27 db units and my litecoms both give me headakes from the pressure.   it feels like unkle fester adam with his head clamp..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43768

river1

Quote from: "wayne petty"another rodder with a ups stomp problem

how can you damage an english wheel in shipping...

it's probably not UPS, they probably get damaged on the slow boat from china.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

The carrier was Fedex and they broke the carton and parts were lost. Twice in a row. Both times it went to the terminal 80 miles from me before it was returned to Ca. After the second time, I called HF and asked if they could double box it. A fairly smart c.s. rep told me that was the shipping dept's problem and there wasn't anything he would do. A week later there was a refund on my credit card. My thought was that he didn't want to deal with the problem anymore. This time it was double boxed with strapping. Problem solved.
TEAM SMART

Husker

Is it worth a *? I have been looking at one at the local HF store but just have not decided on it yet.

wayne petty

just happend to be surfing and found a link on planishing hammers..

some of them can be filled through a plug in the frame to reduce the noise output... they suguested sand..  i'm thinking steel shot like a dead blow hammer...

maybe a layer of plumbers felt and a layer of foam pipe insulation tie wrapped over the exhaust port.......to quiet it down...

maybe an 8" or 12" id filled ring of cloth or leather to dampin the sheet metal ringing...

kb426

"Is it worth a *?" I don't know yet. I took a perfectly good flat piece of metal and bent the crap out of it. I looked at the cost of the materials and figured that I'd not save enough to warrant spending the time on something that I knew little about. It's rated at 16 gauge and I think it will do that just fine. It's got a big enough throat to do anything I'm going to attempt for awhile. The HF planishing hammer has a plug on the frame. I have some blasting sand left over so that's what I'm putting in it. None of this gets used until the 32 is finished.
TEAM SMART