Power steering for a 49/52 Chevy or pre 63 Corvette

Started by Bob K, November 07, 2007, 05:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Hey ENJENJO:

You mentioned that someone has adapted a Cavalier rack and pinion PS unit to these suspensions. Have you got any more info or pics.

What year Cav did they use?

B :?: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

sirstude

Bob,  Here is a link to a guy that did it and said he has drawings for all the pieces.  I have a friend that did the conversion on  a 50 Ford.

Doug

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/137222/post/978368/hl/cavalier/fromsearch/1/#978368
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

What did you do Bob. put in a smaller steering wheel?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bob K

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"What did you do Bob. put in a smaller steering wheel?

Charlie

Nope but I'd like to do that and get quicker steering and also better parking.

B :D B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

enjenjo

Bob, they used an 89 model year rack, it has the tie rod ends in the center about 5" apart. you fabricate a bracket off each frame rail to hold the rack, and new tie rods to match the new rack. I can't find anything else right now, I'll keep looking. It's similar to the one 32 chevy did on his 55 Ford.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

348 tripower did it to that Studebaker he's building. The Stude is like those early chevys with the bellcrank and the long tie rods. I think he posted some pictures here of it but you'd have to look at the forums he started. GPster

WZ JUNK

Bob, sent you a PM some time back on an unrelated matter.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

348tripower

Quote from: "GPster"348 tripower did it to that Studebaker he's building. The Stude is like those early chevys with the bellcrank and the long tie rods. I think he posted some pictures here of it but you'd have to look at the forums he started. GPster

I also have a spare rack. Brand new in da box. I don't need it. I believe I have the rubber mounts too.
Don
Don Colliau

Bob K

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "GPster"348 tripower did it to that Studebaker he's building. The Stude is like those early chevys with the bellcrank and the long tie rods. I think he posted some pictures here of it but you'd have to look at the forums he started. GPster

I also have a spare rack. Brand new in da box. I don't need it. I believe I have the rubber mounts too.
Don

Don:

Do you have pictures of the brackets and what other parts did you make or have to buy.

And the most important question.  DID IT WORK OK?

348tripower

Quote from: "Bob K"
Quote from: "348tripower"

Don

Don:

Do you have pictures of the brackets and what other parts did you make or have to buy.

And the most important question.  DID IT WORK OK?

Bob,
It works good. All I had to do was make the brackets and buy a couple of clamps, the rack and the rubber bushings. I have pictures and I will send them to you tomorrow.  One thing about the Studebaker is that I have maxed out the caster on it. It needs more, but according to all the Stude people, that could only be accomplished with different upper A arms. The return of the wheel is very slow. But, with the big block it is a massive improvement in driveability. :D  As is I said in the previous post, I have a newley rebuilt rack on the shelf. This rack has the lines coming out of the end and would not clear in my application. You are welcome to try it.
Don
Don Colliau

348tripower

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/dcolliau/

Bob,
 The car is on the hoist. If you need any measurements, let me know. Also, I found I couldn't do a lot with out the rack.
Don
Don Colliau

Bob K

Thanks a lot guy's,

I have been in contact with Vinnie in England and he is going to send me some more info as far as part numbers etc. He used Saab parts to some extent and he is doing it on a 54 2dr sedan. The Corvette crossmember is a little different and the frame is totally different so the mounting brackets are going to have to be different.

I also contacted Butch Bunn and the guy that made his kit. Dan at Opie's rod shop said that he was never happy with the kit as it hung down too far below the xmember. He is talking about reengineering it maybe this winter.

There is a company that makes kits for the C3 corvette, their kit sells for 1,300 and is a bolt in. They say they are getting requests for the C1 and are thinking of doing a kit.

This project was just in my mind anyway as we are redoing my 47 2dr sedan this winter. One project at a time in my old age.