Slow rotation of the round tubes for welding

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 04, 2007, 11:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

i was looking at the H-Freight  ITEM 43060-7VGA. It is a router speed control device................... ANy one used this or something similar??

I figure I can use it on other motors to control the RPM of it.

I am cypherin on a fixture to slowly rotate differential housing for mig welding the bearing ends back on after narrowing the tubes.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

I built one,for doing hydraulic cylinders.
Unfortunately,the controls we used were kinda complex.

The rpm was adjustable,and it shut off automatically
after it had gone far enough.

wayne petty

i'am not sure but i think that router control speed devices are for brush type motors...

i think i have seen speed ajusters for ceiling fans... which are not brush type motors...

i did buy a long time ago a ajustable fan speed controller from all electronics . but at really low speds there is not much torque...

do you have any gear reducton motors laying around...

heres a fan control  from hd..

Broan Electronic Variable Speed Control White
Model 72W $39.99/Each

and if all else fails.. how about a variable speed electric drill.... one with a lock on button and a speed limiting screw on or next to the trigger...

my 1/2" craftsman varaible speed drill goes really slow..  with a small pulley chucked in the drill and a large one temp mounted to the shaft it could do the trick... to get it slow enough to weld while rotating...

wayne petty

here is a link to c&h surplus in pasadena...

this is their gear reductiuon motor page...

http://www.candhsales.biz/cgi-bin/shop991/shop.pl/SID=35069766/page=ACGM.htm#ACGM2301

the combat tank periscopes are on this link for those who really want to chop the top low..

http://www.candhsales.biz/cgi-bin/shop991/shop.pl/SID=35069766/page=AIRS.htm

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Woody2B

A freind of mine TIG welds 4-link bars on a powered roller jig using the foot control pedal and drive motor from an old sewing machine.  Works great!

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the information..

I want a foot switch for on/off , I would set the speed of rotation prior to welding.

I have a 4 jaw chuck from a lathe , mayb fab up something.  OR a belt pulley drive system.

Still need to ground the metal for welding and not damage any bearings in the supports for the diff as it rotates.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for the information..

I want a foot switch for on/off , I would set the speed of rotation prior to welding.

I have a 4 jaw chuck from a lathe , mayb fab up something.  OR a belt pulley drive system.

Still need to ground the metal for welding and not damage any bearings in the supports for the diff as it rotates.

do you have a braided ground strap you can hook one end to the frame of the roller with an insulated pair of sholder washers. and the other ends gets thrown over the rotating shaft to be welded and hooked again with a spring that is also through an insulation... the ground  clamp of the welder grips on this braided stap. the braided strap shold slide on the shaft and transfer enough contact to allow welding without too much sparking... maybe several straps in a fan pattern...  this will also keep the welding cuttents from passing thorugh you bearings...

do you want a store bough foot pedal...  music instrument stores have them cheep... they used them for pianos and other effects......

if you want to fab you own... a hinge some scrap metal  a mitsubishi jet valve assy as a spring loaded plunger that is already threaded..  or various nuts and bolts with coupling nuts as a guide... and a switch of some kind... when fabbing it be sure to make the pedal assy ajustable and spring loaded to limit the amount of push on the switch... you dont want to step on it and shove the switch off the mount...

chimp koose

At one shop I worked in 20+ yrs ago we had a welding lathe . the ground was just a large piece of flat copper 3/8"thick x 2"wide bent in a U that had the ground cable attached .you just hung the U over top the piece to be welded and went to it. since the piece turns so slowly there is really no concern about it binding . One neat thing about the lathe was that it had a rest on it similar to the tool rest on a wood lathe. That way you could keep yourself very steady and adjust the rotation speed to produce a good weld. A person has a natural tendancy to adjust your travel speed to accomodate welder settings to a degree,this doesnt work at the lathe and the tool rest helped you to not follow the weld around the shaft but rather adjust the rotation speed.