Curing a Fiberglass Body??

Started by seadog, November 01, 2007, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

So, make any attachments on corners, edges, and high crown areas?  How about letting your glass sit out in the sun through a summer, would that allow things to cure properly?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Bugpac

I would think so, Or most body shops would likely throw it in the paintbooth for ya, for a fee i am sure, The guy that taught me how to and that i bought all my stuff from has never heat cured any of his bodies, he has built them in dead winter then assembled the car right after the body being molded, and to my knowledge has had no problems, he has built about 12 complete cars over the years....Im thinking more along the lines of the manufacturing process flaw than anything, My cars i am building now, I am laying a 2oz chopped mat first layer, then the second day i am going to add the rest, so the first layers cures out fully, and its a mother fo to get all the layers on at one time without getting air in it...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

nzsimon

Leaving it out in the sun is a good thing to do then look at it very very closely when it is hot

The reason is any tiny air bubbles in the glass expand when hot and deflate again when they cool this will cause them to be seen when finish painted and the car is hot especially if it is black or a dark colour

Any air bubbles have to be popped and filled or they will go up and down forever
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true