Help finding fastners/Screws

Started by msuguydon, November 01, 2007, 12:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

I need to find screws /fasteners to attach my arm rests to the door.  I only have one, I went to Lowes and could not find a match.  

Suggestions?

The screw is phillips, 2 inches long, not thread all the way, kinda of a carriage bolt... with about a 20 or larger thread.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

enjenjo

Try Fastenal, they can usually match one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

can you measure it exactally???? in decimal....

my local osh hardware has lots of large screws like that packed in small packs... and i have like 10 gallons of misc screws and fasteners i have saved over the years... head diameter is also a good thing to measure...

Dave

Mc Master Carr is another option. they have a web site also
Dave :arrow:

EMSjunkie

There are quite a few "loose screws" around here.........just look around, surly you can find something on the floor :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat rat

Do you have a junk yard nearby? If so go there and see what is in different cars. There would probably be something there that could be used.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

MrMopar64

www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

UGLY OLDS

Hey Don...Try a '55-'56-'57 Chevy vendor...I may be screwy but I think they are the same ...Ask for a sample or description before you buy...... 8)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I may be screwy

:lol:  8)  :wink:  :arrow:  :roll:
Dave :arrow:

paul5456

Try Restoration Specialties in PA.  They have all kinds of odd ball stuff for trim work.

msuguydon

Quote from: "wayne petty"can you measure it exactally???? in decimal....

my local osh hardware has lots of large screws like that packed in small packs... and i have like 10 gallons of misc screws and fasteners i have saved over the years... head diameter is also a good thing to measure...

Here is a picture.... I would say it's 2 1/4 long, 1/4 threads, pan head, phillips

msuguydon

McMaster-Carr Part # 92470A254

18-8 SS Pan Head Phillips Sheet Metal Screw No 10 Size, 2-1/4" Length

What do you think?  Close.... but my screw has 3/4 of an inch of no thread at the top

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"McMaster-Carr Part # 92470A254

18-8 SS Pan Head Phillips Sheet Metal Screw No 10 Size, 2-1/4" Length

What do you think?  Close.... but my screw has 3/4 of an inch of no thread at the top

That almost looks like a wood screw :shock:
I think a sheet metal screw would be better :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

GPster

I agree. That does look like a wood screw. The previous owner could have used them so they would be handy to seal the casket when the wheel lugs broke. Look at the screws holding them on on the rear doors (you've got 4 doors don't you?) If you really need that un-threaded shank you may have to use a stud and a nut. To have a screw thread on one end and a machine thread (for a nut) on the opposite end with an un-threaded shank in the center and that length might be hard to come up with. They might have them at Lowes or Home Depot. A fastener like that is used to hold toilets down. (Team Smart wins again) GPster

kb426

Once again, something simple has turned into entertainment. Thank you. :lol:
TEAM SMART