Fiberglass source

Started by enjenjo, October 22, 2007, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I needed to make an apron on the rear of the truck I am working on, and fiberglass seemed like the answer since the fenders are glass too. It's a compound curve, and I was trying to figure out an easy way to make a mold. Thursday I picked up fatcat at work, and there was a junk pile with several air shields on it behind the building. An air shield is the areo device bolted to the top of 18 wheeler cabs. This morning, I made a couple templates, and went over to check them out. I found one with all the right curves, cost me $25. I made the apron with just one seam in the center, a lot faster than I could have from scratch. You should be able to find them at truck junkyards, and used truck dealers. It may pay to look.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

I was just thinking today I need something for the rear of the roadster. The body to gas tank gap is bigger than id like.. How wide are these things??
Dave

enjenjo

Between 4 and 6 ft. Some are as much as 10 ft long.

C9

Ford's Courier has a nice roll pan under the tailgate.
Has semi-frenched - or inset - taillights as well.
Steel fwiw.

If I remember right you have to section it in the middle, but no big deal.

If you can find some info on the Tony Nancy street roadster build that was a multi-issue article in either Hot Rod or Rod & Custom you'll see what he did.

Makes a nicely rounded rear.

Wouldn't be too difficult to pop a mold from it if you want a glass roll pan.

Got a need for a sunken fberglass license plate well?

I have one for a 32 that was made by Poli-Form.
New - in 85 - never used.
It's yours if you have a use for it.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

WZ JUNK

Some big trucks have a fiberglass roof with nice radius curves on the edges.  I sawed one off of a wrecked truck once with a sawazall and I have made lots of parts out of it and I still have a lot left.

I am glad you are starting to think fiberglass, Frank.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "jusjunk"I was just thinking today I need something for the rear of the roadster. The body to gas tank gap is bigger than id like.. How wide are these things??
Dave

Dave,

Take your car to a body shop and have the rear frame horns raised to close the gap between the tank and the body.

enjenjo

By the way, when you are scrounging an air shield, make sure it is made from fiberglass, you can see the fibers on the inside. They also make them from ABS plastic, completely smooth inside and out, and SMC, sheet molding compound, which had mold marks on the inside, like a Corvette hood.

Dave

Quote from: "Scrap Fe"
Quote from: "jusjunk"I was just thinking today I need something for the rear of the roadster. The body to gas tank gap is bigger than id like.. How wide are these things??
Dave

Dave,

Take your car to a body shop and have the rear frame horns raised to close the gap between the tank and the body.

Only problem with that is its all painted already. I shoulda done that to begin with.  I prolly could have done it my self with a little heat and a floor jack  :!:
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "C9"
Got a need for a sunken fberglass license plate well?

I have one for a 32 that was made by Poli-Form.
New - in 85 - never used.
It's yours if you have a use for it.

Lemme think on that Jay..
Dave :wink: