2008 Speed Week Dates..............

Started by 1FATGMC, October 19, 2007, 11:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Some of you have asked when Speed Week is next year;

Speed Week -----------------  August 18-24
Inspection Sunday ----------  Aug 17    

Hopefully this will help some with the motel room situation.

c ya,

Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"Can a factory chevy roller cam and lifters be used in a non roller block?

Is this a trick question dealing with Speed Week dates  :roll: ???

To answer your question I once saw or think I say where a guy machined his block to take the "spider" thing that locates the factory lifters.  What I think though is that it is considered a bad idea as the lifter bores are not as tall and won't support the lifter properly.

About any '87 block up thought will work with the roller lifters and should be machined for the spider assembly which you can buy pretty cheap.  Also I guess you can get the roller lifters at salvage yards real cheap and unlike hyd. lifters you can reuse them with any cam.

I'm going to start on a new motor soon and I can't make up my mind if I want the old style block or the new.  I will have roller lifters almost for sure.

Now write those dates down and c ya,

Sum

1FATGMC

Ok Frank are you messing with me because of that "pistol" comment  :roll: .

A while ago you had a question posted in this thread, now it is gone  :oops: .  I guess we will have to get the "long guns" out and settle this at sun-up tomorrow,

Sum

river1

more importantly );b(

what are the dates for the 2008 sumner ruins tour?

date of the BBQ?

do to possible fluctuation in my work status i may or may not make it in 08 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

i will be trying my damnedest tho :T)

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

I posted it in the wrong place, in the mean time I found the answer, so I deleted it.

By the way, Comp cams make a replacement lifter that will allow you to use a factory roller cam in a pre roller block.  they are $25 each.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"more importantly );b(

date of the BBQ?

do to possible fluctuation in my work status i may or may not make it in 08 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

later jim

geeeez, could you be more sure??

:lol:

:0-0
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"

date of the BBQ?

later jim

geeeez, could you be more sure??

nope :roll:  :roll:

there may be a career change in my near future )bye(

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"I posted it in the wrong place, in the mean time I found the answer, so I deleted it.

By the way, Comp cams make a replacement lifter that will allow you to use a factory roller cam in a pre roller block.  they are $25 each.

Is it the GM type lifter that requires something to locate it or is it a link type lifter???  Part number??

I have a GM steel crank i would like to use for the old style block, but don't like the idea of link type lifters on a street long distance driven car.

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"

nope :roll:  :roll:

there may be a career change in my near future )bye(

later jim

That is interesting...... and I can see that  happening.  With the fish wrap's long standing  editorial policy  about illegal immigrants and the shrinking distribution numbers.

Are you nearly vested in the union retirement??
Tony

1FATGMC

date of the BBQ?

later jim

Good question Jim.  If inspection is on Sunday and I have my car ready to run, and I had better be ready then I'll go up on Sat. so that I'm there bright and early for inspection Sunday since it will be a new car and take longer and if I have to change something I'll have more time.

So I would imagine that the BBQ would be Friday night for anyone that comes and that if I'm not doing any last minute thrashing I would take people out Friday and possibly Wed. Thur. if there was interest.

Don't forget you can come anytime for a ruin tour.  There are a lot of neat places out there that it is hard to take a large group to.  Hope something good is in the works for you   :D .  

Keep us informed,

Sum

enjenjo

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I posted it in the wrong place, in the mean time I found the answer, so I deleted it.

Is it the GM type lifter that requires something to locate it or is it a link type lifter???  Part number??

I have a GM steel crank i would like to use for the old style block, but don't like the idea of link type lifters on a street long distance driven car.

Sum

853-16 is the set part number It uses a link.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Sum

853-16 is the set part number It uses a link.

Do not the roller lifters all use a link type system to maintain lifter roller alignment to the cam shaft?

There are different designs. The pin / link bar could be a problem on LD driving as Sum mentions

Does GM still use the same type link / guides as the early 350 roller cam block design or some thing new in the LS series of motors?

8)
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"Do not the roller lifters all use a link type system to maintain lifter roller alignment to the cam shaft?......

........ Does GM still use the same type link / guides as the early 350 roller cam block design or some thing new in the LS series of motors?

8)

All of GM's roller motors from the late 80's don't use any type of link system, but instead a .........................

............... spider retainer in the middle of the valley that presses on 4 plates on each side of the block.  The plates have holes in them with flats on each side that match the flats on the sides of the lifters.  The flats keep the lifter from turning as it goes up and down.  Easy to get over 200,000 miles with this setup.  I've had people tell me not to worry about putting 100,000 miles on link-bar type lifters, but I've also seen pictures where they have failed and it isn't a pretty sight.

Like I mentioned I believe that any '87 up block is machined for the spider and has the taller lifter bores so you can retrofit a roller cam into a block that didn't come with one:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0307_converting_hydraulic_roller_cam/index.html

c ya,

Sum

bucketmouth

Unfortunately the later date for Speed Week has messed up my travel plans. I don't have enough time to attend both that and the Louisville Nats.
I guess I'll have to find some other events to attend.
I was so looking forward to Bonneville again. :cry:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

sirstude

Thanks Sum,  Guess I better make my reservations.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us