44 Belongs in Magnums and not Tires?

Started by C9, October 18, 2007, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

The new front tires on my 32 - no pics yet - are 185/75R-14 and have a max load pressure rating o 44#.

The wider 195/70R-14 - and a prior 185/70R-14 both had 35# rating at max load.

Just curious why the change.

I tried them out for the first time yesterday, just got the 32 back together after the drags at the Airport weekend before last.
They ride and handle ok, but perhaps won't corner as well due to the tread width is 5 compared to the BFG's 6" tread width.

And . . . what happened to the BFG 285/70R-15?
Not listed at the Tire Rack and a couple other places.

Any good substitutes?
The compound was somewhat soft and they did well at the drags.
Without a burnout, I just drive around the burnout box, park and wait.

Think it un-nerved the first guy, neither of us had staged yet, the starter smiled at the blown Camaro street runner mit big slicks and the Camaro nailed it.
I did as well, about one second late.
The tires bit well with just rolling on the throttle and I started reeling him in, but it would have been tough to catch in the quarter let alone the quarter mile.

If I get some more time, I'll write up the whole race from this roadster driver's viewpoint.
Some funny stuff from some people who should have known better.

Anyway, been fun week even if a lot of it was searching for and buying tires.
Ended up with two new ones for the trailer, need a couple more.

Along those lines, what would be wrong with running pickup tires with a higher load rating than what's supplied with the 7000# gross trailer?

Trailer tires were and still are radials....

The dry lake:

The 44 mag and the 22 mag.

The 44 is the one with the pimp pearl grips.
Back to a pair of standard Ruger grips with about 7 coats of Tru-Oil.

Anyone have a use for the Pearl grips?
They fit the New Model.
A freebie to an RRT regular - two Franks get first shot . . . so to speak.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

No use for them Jay, the only pistol I own shoots BBs
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"No use for them Jay, the only pistol I own shoots BBs

Well at your age you're lucky it is still shooting something  :oops: ,

Sum

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

285/70's are discontinued :cry:  Atuually coker has a bfg in that size in a white wall but as far a im concerned they are way over priced.. I think bfg shot them selves in the foot here.. Your options are a truck tire . 265/75 is close and then there is the 31x1050 .. The problem here is the tread pattern. Id like my tires to not look like truck tires. Oh ya the side walls are gonna be stiffer too.. One more option is to go to like 17's
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

35WINDOW

C9,

Isn't your .45 a Blackhawk? Love those, I just bought a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt (Stainless)-I don't believe there is a better, more durable Handgun made than Ruger-very nice!

C9

Quote from: "35WINDOW"C9,

Isn't your .45 a Blackhawk? Love those, I just bought a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt (Stainless)-I don't believe there is a better, more durable Handgun made than Ruger-very nice!

Yes, Super Blackhawk whatever the heck that means.
They must load factory rounds at a lower level nowadays.
When I was 19 they used to kick at bit, now . . . and maybe I'm used to it, not so bad.
I do reload so I need to try some of the 'stiff' loads the guys on the Ruger forum recommend.
The loads all fit within the max limits of all loading manuals I have and have seen.

I like the Vaquero's as well.
The 45 Colt version in blue is in the back of my mind as the next handgun.
Maybe, the 204 Model 77 is particularly appealling.

Tough enough now to choose from the three screw 9 1/2" 22 Mag - which I call my pocket rifle, won more than a few ham's and turkey's with it at the turkey shoots - the 44 and the 9mm P-89.
Carry different ones for different things when we go Jeeping & exploring the back country.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "C9"Just curious why the change.

The pressure increase is to take the flex out of the tire and move in into the strut on newer cars. It is part of the shorter sidewall, taller rim concept. Some of the 18 and 19 inch tires have 50psi max ratings on them.

35WINDOW

Tough enough now to choose from the three screw 9 1/2" 22 Mag - which I call my pocket rifle, won more than a few ham's and turkey's with it at the turkey shoots - the 44 and the 9mm P-89.
Carry different ones for different things when we go Jeeping & exploring the back country.[/quote]

Those 3 screws are becoming more valuable every day-very nice.

HemiDeuce

BFG makes a LT 215/85R16 in load range D that is 29.9" in Dia. and mounts on a 5.5 to 7"rim.  With a lower air pressure this tire  whould ride quite good I would think.  I'm going to try them myself. Not quite as wide as a 285/7015 and might look a bit better, only problem is you are going to need 16"rims.
HemiDeuce