83 chevy van electronic spark control question

Started by junkyardjeff, October 05, 2007, 10:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

A friend has a 83 van and wants to get rid of the ESC and put on a non computer carb and distributor so it will run better,since it has a 700 R4 I am thinking the computer controls the convertor lock up and what do I need to to to keep that function after the computer is removed.    Jeff

Learpilot

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"A friend has a 83 van and wants to get rid of the ESC and put on a non computer carb and distributor so it will run better,since it has a 700 R4 I am thinking the computer controls the convertor lock up and what do I need to to to keep that function after the computer is removed.    Jeff
I have a 86 700R4 transmission in my 36 and it does not have any computer to control the transmission. It has a TV cable, and it should hook up to the new non-computer carb the same. The lock-up converter can be hooked to a 12volt switch and the 4th gear switch on the valve body. to work only in 4th gear. There a lot of web sites that show how to do that ,and you will have to pull the transmission pan to accomplish this.
Rick Harris

wayne petty

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"A friend has a 83 van and wants to get rid of the ESC and put on a non computer carb and distributor so it will run better,since it has a 700 R4 I am thinking the computer controls the convertor lock up and what do I need to to to keep that function after the computer is removed.    Jeff

i was looking at the vacuum diagrams in the repair section of autozones web site   some of the 83 chevy vans use a vacuum switch to conrtol the TCC.
most of those also did not show a feed back carb..  i sure some have them..

check pm's.