Factory GM Upper control arm problem

Started by 48builder, October 04, 2007, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

While I have my frame all apart I was thinking I'd replace the shaft that goes through the bushings on the upper control arms. I called my parts place, and the guy says they are $100 list each, but he can sell them to me for $59. There is a note that says the MOOG part fixes a problem with the camber that exists with the factory parts. Anybody ever hear of that? I don't mind spending the $$ to fix a handling problem if there really is one.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

MOOG make an offset shaft that corrects the camber if the frame is bent, and most of them are, just from age. you can put a jack inbetween the towers, and bend it out about 1/2", this does the same thing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

wow... during the time i typed a info post to this thread
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7806

you ask the exact question.

i though someone would need that answer i posted. just not that fast..

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"MOOG make an offset shaft that corrects the camber if the frame is bent, and most of them are, just from age. you can put a jack inbetween the towers, and bend it out about 1/2", this does the same thing.

Thanks. Should I do that anyway as a precaution? Is there a way to know if I should? I'm thinking of calling an alignment shop and seeing if they can align just the bare frame.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "wayne petty"wow... during the time i typed a info post to this thread
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7806

you ask the exact question.

i though someone would need that answer i posted. just not that fast..

Thanks, Wayne.

Can you tell me that measurement between the control arm mounts for my '87 Grand Prix? As I asked enjenjo, i'd rather bend it out now if it needs it.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

If the frame is bare, just have it straightened before you assemble it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"If the frame is bare, just have it straightened before you assemble it.

OK. I'll try to find a shop that can do that for me.
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

becxause of the age.. yes i know its a late model.. try to find the frame dimentions first... it is listed in a frame dimentions manual.... most frame shops have newer ones.. many may have the 87..  78 through 87 should be very close...or was 79 the first mid size g body..

be sure to check with the local trade center if they have a body shop as they buy all kinds of books and keep them...

friday i will be out collecting parts for a 66 fairlane project for a friend and i will see if i can find a frame shop that will let me photograph that page.. no promices..   and also fyi.. shooting line art with a digital camera be sure to set the camera to black and white.. to take a few.then color for a few more.. it just makes it easier later..

edit..

here is the link to an 1985  grand prix frame chart on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-PONTIAC-BONNEVILLE-GRAND-PRIX-FRAME-CHART_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34232QQihZ012QQitemZ220071554439

48builder

Quote from: "wayne petty"
here is the link to an 1985  grand prix frame chart on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-PONTIAC-BONNEVILLE-GRAND-PRIX-FRAME-CHART_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34232QQihZ012QQitemZ220071554439

Thanks, Wayne.

I bought this chart. I figure I'll try to bend mine if it needs it by using the ram from my engine hoist. If I can't, then I'll drag the frame to a shop.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver