Hey there fellow hikers and salt addicts

Started by Cword, September 17, 2007, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cword

I've shared this with Sumner while the diagnosis was underway. Now that everything has been confirmed I'll fill everyone in.

The old fart, my dad, did all that hiking and racing with a lymphoma raising hell inside him.  

A week ago it took four units of blood to bring his strength back enough to complete the necessary diagnostic procedures.  Once completed the results came in on 13 September, stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.  Chemotherapy got under way on the 14th. and will continue in 3 week cycles for the next few months.

The sign on dad's hospital room wall reads "Goals for 2008, 220 MPH"

He's in great spirits and his looking forward to being home again early this week.

Mike
--

1FATGMC

The best to him, and how about 225  8) , but I'll bet he would be real happy with 213 if that is 1 mph over the existing record.  

I haven't seen any of those nurses you promised :cry: .  Make sure your dad remembers he is married  :twisted: .

If he has a phone number I can call him at and is feeling good enough to talk PM it to me.

Hope the mustard gets there today or so and look forward to seeing all of you guys again,

Sum

enjenjo

Sorry to hear he has a problem, good to hear that they have it under control. did they have to chain him to the bed? I have have never seen him set still for long
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Cword

Fortunately for the hospital staff he's been too weak to stray too far.  For the first few days he was wore out just getting from the bed to the bathroom and back.

Today is a good day though. Mom just called to let me know they're sending him home today.  Now she'll end up being the tired one  :D

Mike
--

oldbobsign

Sorry to hear the news but I have no doubt he'll beat it!!  It was a pleasure to meet your wonderful family on the hike and to hang with you guys on the salt.  I would have been tempted to try to make it to the hospital just to sprinkle bottled water all over your Dad and the nurses!!! :lol:

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers starting now.

Larry

purplepickup

Mike I'm so sorry to hear this and Don will definitely be in my prayers.   If anyone has what it takes to beat this, your dad does.  Don has been such a remarkable inspiration to those of us on the small end of the tape measure.  His attitude towards life, people, and the pursuit of happiness is an example we all should pay attention to.  He was hard to keep up with on the hikes and I could always hear him talking to someone and laughing.  I feel privileged that sometimes it was with me.   

I'll definitely be there to see him do the 200 mph in 2008.

Here's a pic from one of this year's hikes that shows his attitude pretty well.

And here's one that shows he isn't afraid to take on life in big steps.
George

Hooley

God speed to the old fart. Be up for the  "Sumner Canyon Tour "in 08. :D

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

dragrcr50

i met don last year at bonne and what a guy,  no doubt he will get well, may your family all do well in this time........
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Crosley.In.AZ

Best to him and your  family.

Our time was short at the salt this year, did not get to see all the folks I should have.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodLadyCrusr

My thoughts and prayers are with Don for a speedy and painfree recovery.  Tell him I'm looking forward to spending time with him again next summer hiking and on the Salt.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Charlie Chops 1940

Get well Don - gotta put our track roadsters next to each other yet.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

ChevyGirlRox

Please send my best to both your dad and mom.  He's a tough old bird with a good sense of humor.  He'll scare that bad stuff right out of him.  I look forward to hiking with you all next August.  
I know all of his little nurses will help him feel better real soon! :lol:
I can fly!

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Harry

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from DJ on Vancouver Island.

Sean

Sorry to hear about this. I hope everything goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Not sure I'm much of a hiker or salt addict but I'd like to add my wishes for full and speedy recovery......Sounds like your Dad is just a friend I haven't met yet!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"