Is this Jeep any good????

Started by 1FATGMC, May 17, 2004, 08:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

My wife's daughter is looking at a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 liter 6, auto transmission and 4WD.  It has 150,000 miles on it and she can probably get it for around $2300.  I haven't seen it yet (the picture above is off the internet).  I'm suppose to go with her for a test drive in the morning.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this vehicle.  I'm especially interested to know if the transmission is good (Tony??) and if this is a vehicle without a lot of problems.  Right now she is living with us, but in the future she will be on her own again and won't have easy access to a shop.

Thanks for any help,

Sum

SKR8PN

Most of my experience,says they seem to be pretty durable. I have seen a few exhaust manifolds crack,and you are going to have maintenance stuff,like u-joints(4x4), and ball joints,but all in all,the engine is a darn good design,with quite a bit of grunt.1990 should have the Chrysler trans in it. Most of them that I have driven,with over 100,000 miles still seem to be tight,body wise.Not much trouble in the way of electronics. They are a little tight in the cabin area,but I would own one again.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Dirk35

Everybody that Ive known that had a Cherokee (Both of them I think) has not been real happy with them. They both said they wouldnt buy one again, although it never really needed much major. Remember , this is I know a guy that had one, not a direct relation.

I almost bought one, but seen many a many of them on the used car lots and ony an ocasional Explorer and even less S-10 Blazers and that swayed me to the Explorer.

I miss my old Explorer. It had the v-6 engine and I could take it out of 4WD. It was a 1991 an dI sold it at 215,000 miles for $3800 two years ago. It was that nice that the dealer gave me over blue book on it. I sold it cause it had a cracked head (or head gasket) which would push the coolent out through the exhaust about a half gallon each month. If one didnt drive it daily then would never realize anythign was wrong with it other than a slight coolant smell at the tail pipe. It leaked it that slow.

My current 1997 Explorer is the all wheel drive one with the 302 V8 and other than the poorer gas milage and the not able to take it out fo 4WD, Im happy with it. Its currently at 125,000 miles. I got  it at 40,000 miles. I have needed nothing other than 1 normal belt replacment, and typical oil change and filters and coolant change. Im hoping to get 300,000 out of this one.  

FWIW, I seen one today same as mine but with th esun roof and at 90k miles asking $3500.

enjenjo

The 4.0 six is an updated AMC motor, just about bullet proof. There are a lot of those Cherokees around here with over 200,000 miles no problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

My daughter bought a 1995 last week.  It was a one owner with 115,000 miles.  It has leather interior and lots of extras.  She gave $4,500 for it which I thought was a little high but it was what she wanted and she is paying for it.  I looked it over and it seemed okay.  I guess we will find out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Sean

My Mom has an '89 or '90, I don't remember for sure. She has well over 200K on hers and has done nothing to it other than normal maintenance.

Dennis the Menace

Check the door hinges. We used the Jeeps at work and had a problem with the door hinges breaking.
Dennis
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "enjenjo"The 4.0 six is an updated AMC motor, just about bullet proof. There are a lot of those Cherokees around here with over 200,000 miles no problem.

I bought my daughters because she was going to sell it so cheap, 87 4.0 225000 miles still running ok.  Only problem is the plastic overflow tank if it has one.  They do seem to go rather cheap on the resale. I bought another broken one for $300 for parts and shure helps.  Oh ye hve a bad exhaust leak I will need to attack soon. Ed kes6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Ohio Blue Tip

Had a 1988 jeep a few years back with that 6 engine and an automatic, I couldn't seem to hurt the engine or drive train.  The seats and trim were poor.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

purplepickup

I asked a guy I work with that has had a few jeeps for his opinion.....his last two were Cherokees with the inline 6's, and he says the drivetrains are bulletproof.  He had a little rust on an '88 but this is Michigan.  

He's going to be shopping for a different one soon and he's a little bummed that they quit offering the 4.0, and replaced it with a V6, in the new Libertys which replaced the Cherokees.
George

1FATGMC

Thanks for everyone's input.  

We went for a test ride and the motor and trans seem good, but the air doesn't work, the back side windows are out and have been replaced with hinged metal side panels that don't close and the power steering leaks.   Sounds like a young guy owned it and pushed it pretty hard off-road while he owned it (pulls to the right). The guy won't come down from the $2500, so for now Natalie is going to pass on it.

Looks like we will drive over to Farmington, NM next monday and see what is there.

Thanks again for everyones advice.

c ya, Sum