37 Ford Chassis

Started by TVinPNW, September 16, 2007, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TVinPNW

I have talked to Chassis Engineering about their bolt on components and several companies that manufacture new chassis.  I've listened to all the sales people pros and cons. The issue, of course money.  Can you folks share some actual experiences with me if you have used "Chassis Engineering" modern components (suspension, brakes, steering, etc.) on your original frames - verses buying a newly manufactured chassis.  My engine will be just under 400 hp and 400 ft/lbs torque, trans 700R4.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob C

The original frames are very weak. I built a 37 a few years ago and used a Roadster Shop chassis. The quality and workmanship was excellent.
Bob

Charlie Chops 1940

CE components are generally bulletproof. Maybe not the trickest but they are tough. The problem with '35-'40 original chassis isn't that they are inherently weak, it's that they are hard to find with all the inner walls complete and not rusted to death. That's why the after market frames came to be.

I don't know the Roadster shop is still doing them but there are others too. I haven't looked lately though. My reply is more to the quality of CE parts and they are generally very good but you can expect to have to tweak a part now and then. Nothing new there.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Never had a major Problem with CE parts. As Charlie said, you may have to ream a hole to make them fit, but other than that, no problem.

On the 36 to 40 frames, rust is the big problem,particularly at the rear, where the Xmember joins the frame. I have seen othewise good frames with rust in that area. If you have more time than money, and the skill, even those frames can be safely repaired. That said, I have built several cars on original  frames, and they are all going strong.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

Just another vote here for CE stuff being good quality and generally fitting well.  I don't have experience with their MII front components as I prefer Heidt's, but for rear suspension, brake pedal assys, and center member kits they are good pieces, and go in pretty much as the instructions tell you.  All that being said, in part it will depend on what your objectives are for stance as far as the rear suspension goes.  The CE springs are arched more than some others, and the brackets are further from the frame.  I have the CE set-up under my '36 roadster and had to use 3" blocks to get the tail down where I wanted it.  A while back I had a '40 sedan with a SAC rear kit and it sat almost the same without blocks.  It too looked to be good quality, so if I were to do another I'd likely go with SAC.

As for the frame strength issue, I agree that a good stock frame can be a good starting point.  In addition to the rust in the area mentioned where the X member rear legs, which act as a frame "doubler", tend to rust out, the rear body mounts that are outboard on the frame just ahead of the rear end will often be wasted.  Again, those are easily replaced.  If you're going independent on the front you'll be boxing that front section anyway.  If you were going to pound the chassis hard with big launches and suct, the rear section would probably need to more steel, but then you wouldn't be using the CE type hardware back there either.  On my roadster, to gain a little more rigidity without a roof structure, we tied the X member to the side rails with some 1x2" tubing and did some boxing of the side rails.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Topsterguy

So with all this in mind has anyone used, or know anyone who did, Cornhuskers 35-40 chassis? I liked the stuff of there's I've seen, and I'm building a 40 Ford pickup now so I'm looking around. I've got a fairly good stock chassis that came with it but not being a welder ( but I've got pals that are!) and knowing that they aren't the strongest I'm leaning towards an after market one too. Thoughts???
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

37fordcoupe

After looking at my rusted 37 ford stock frame and all the rust to deal with and pricing all the aftermarket frames. My buddy built this frame for my 37 coupe.. end the end it cost less to built this then buy one.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

"So with all this in mind has anyone used, or know anyone who did, Cornhuskers 35-40 chassis?".....I have used a couple of the Cornhusker chassis under a 37 and 40.The fellow that owns the business is Gary Mussman......He's a great guy and a streetrodder himself.Very good craftsmanship.....the welds are so clean they're nearly paint ready.Under the 37 I'm building currently,I started with a pair of boxed rails from Tin Man Fabrication in Minnesota,I designed the X member and cross members and a buddy of mine bent them up out of round tubing and welded them at his shop.I used a Heidts Superide IFS, a Currie Rear.disc brakes and all the usual small stuff......In the end,I'm sure I had as much or more in it than a Cornhusker chassis.I did have the advantage of designing the X member to allow the exhaust to fit better etc though.I also do not weld so paying the shop rate to have everything melted together professionally is a factor for me.I will see if I can post some photos of my chassis as I now have it powder coated and re-assembled.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bob C

Quote from: "37fordcoupe"After looking at my rusted 37 ford stock frame and all the rust to deal with and pricing all the aftermarket frames. My buddy built this frame for my 37 coupe.. end the end it cost less to built this then buy one.
That's a hellava job. Looks good. It's obviously not the first frame he's built. );b(
Bob

37fordcoupe

Bob C

No it was built by a local Rod Builder here in Lexington and he's custom built a few.. I couldn't buy anything even close to the price he charged me. I had all the A-Arms, rear end and misc things needed, If I recall the charge was less the $2000. :lol:
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

papastoyss

If you're thinking new frame don't overlook Fatman . I used one of his frames under my 40 coupe & was well pleased with it. They are super strong and a good value for the $.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "37fordcoupe"Bob C

No it was built by a local Rod Builder here in Lexington and he's custom built a few.. I couldn't buy anything even close to the price he charged me. I had all the A-Arms, rear end and misc things needed, If I recall the charge was less the $2000. :lol:

wow , that is a good price
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)