350sbc to bbc ??

Started by Ed ke6bnl, September 09, 2007, 11:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

I have a 1949 F6 Ford that has some sort of adapter plate with a non working 350 sbc.  stock trans and rear end.  I may getting a 454 engine. My question is, are the sbc engine mounts going to be useful for the 454 even if they are I would assume the larger motor would not line up with the trans with out moving it further back. Just a little insight will help me make up my mind on some of the ways I attack this project in future. other projects have priority though. Thanks as always Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

wayne petty

hi  .. i was just thinking of this site

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1930s-White-Glacier-National-Park-Red-Bus.htm

where new chassies were installed under the restored bodys

i just rembember how whimpee the orignal brakes were on most early heavy duty trucks...and single system also...

also say hi to joe hickinbothom.. he's the guy who rebuilds the old ford tractors up in your area

Bib_Overalls

I don't know how stout the original transmission is but I think a BBC would work best with a matching transmission.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"I don't know how stout the original transmission is but I think a BBC would work best with a matching transmission.

I do have a 400 trans. brakes are always an issue

Not sure if joe hickinbothom is the retired policeman that sell and rebuilds the Ford tractors down the road on Sierra Hwy. ??

This is not a freeway flyer or long hauler just a work truck for my projects ED
although my wife would not mind me fixing it up nice with the drive train out of the dually and using it to tow our camping trailer... Time money and energy will tell. Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

wayne petty

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"
Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"I don't know how stout the original transmission is but I think a BBC would work best with a matching transmission.

I do have a 400 trans. brakes are always an issue

Not sure if joe hickinbothom is the retired policeman that sell and rebuilds the Ford tractors down the road on Sierra Hwy. ??

This is not a freeway flyer or long hauler just a work truck for my projects ED
although my wife would not mind me fixing it up nice with the drive train out of the dually and using it to tow our camping trailer... Time money and energy will tell. Ed

i dont think joe was a policeman...  he owned an engine rebuilding company for decades.  he drives a ford ranger 2 (small size and blue) dualie flat bed with a dual loop engine hoist on the back.

as far as i know the big block mount holes in the block are just a little bit higher and a little forward.. this is from rembembering what the 67 camaro frame brackets look like...in a truch chassie i dont think it will matter ...

sirstude

Small block and big blocks interchange.  They did make a thicker motor mount in some cased (the rubber part) but you don't need that.  That is one of the nice things about working on a Chevy.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us