Is it OK for M/C to move when brakes are applied?

Started by seadog, September 02, 2007, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

Today while finishing up a few things on my Duece chassis I noticed that the master cylinder moves ever so slightly when the pedal is pushed.  The movement is so slight that it's hardly noticable and I don't have a tool in the shop that would be capable of measuring it.  Nevertheless, it seems that there should be NO movement.  I am concerned that over time this will cause premature wear and perhaps fatigue the brake lines.  The M/C is installed in what is pretty much the standard location using grade 5 bolts and the bracketry that was in the frame when I got it...picture attached.  What do you guys think?  Am I right to be concerned or is this nothing to worry about?  Since the fame is in paint at this point I'd obviously like not to have to reinforce the bracket, but if this is a safety issue I guess I'll have to.  Thanks.

Leon

I wouldn't imagine that it should move at all, but in stock applications they do put a coil in the lines to allow for movement.  You might be able to reinforce the mount by bolting up a plate on the pedal side to keep the mount from flexing, that wouldn't require any mods to the chassis.