IF you were to build an E85 motor....

Started by tomslik, September 02, 2007, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Gale Banks talks about "optimizing" an engine for E85 and the mpg would be better yet still lower than gasoline.

E85 has less btu in it than gasoline  , so the mpg would be less.

understood, but that's a "wgaf" when we're talking very limited street use

IIRC there is 1 or 2 E85 pumps in Phoenix and those are private or Gov pumps.  Tucson had a few more.

THe turbo Ford 6 guy in Tucson has run E85 for a short while.  He also has the new aluminum cylinder head on the 250 six cylinder engine .

why'd he quit?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dr Flowgood

Purple pickup, we have lots of ethanol gas here in Michigan  All the sunoco stations here sell it and many other brands are doing it. To loose 30 % in fuel economy there is more to it than a tank of 10% ethanol , maybe you got a bad tank or you left the shifter in first the whole way?  heh  just kidding.  If you ran pure 100% ethanol it takes about 30% more fuel by volume to do the same work so a 10% mixture shouldnt hurt the mileage by much, maybe a few percent.  Its interesting stuff, the gas stations owned by oil companys sure dont have any interest in selling ethanol. I dont think e85 will ever be a big hit, Ive read that we cant grow enough corn to make enough of it to replace all the gas we use and we need it as a food more than a fuel.

PS: what are these big fuel injectors used in, are they throttle body injectors?
Doug

Charlie Chops 1940

The problem for car owners and 10% ethanol here in Michigan is that the retailers are not required by law to post that the gasoline is adulterated. I know they are sellung 10% because a friend who worked for one of the largest gasoline haulers in the state told me his company was in the ethanol mixing business. He didn't say what brands and I guess at the time I didn't care. Haven't got a load of it yet or don't know I did. I believe it takes more car by the stations to keep water out of the mixture

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

Quote from: "Dr Flowgood"Purple pickup,   ////  Its interesting stuff, the gas stations owned by oil companys sure dont have any interest in selling ethanol. I dont think e85 will ever be a big hit, Ive read that we cant grow enough corn to make enough of it to replace all the gas we use and we need it as a food more than a fuel.

PS: what are these big fuel injectors used in, are they throttle body injectors?
Doug

the huge fuel injectors are on 80's up  ford 3.8 CFI (36lbs/green top) and 5.0 CFI(59 lbs dark blue top)  and 5.0HO CFI (62 lbs grey top)  i found a site by googling ford cfi injectors that had a complete list of bosch and ford numbers to flow rates and voltages. i printed the whole thing.  then cleaned my desk.  they have a spool that adapts the cfi special top to a conventional oring top .

i did find this link with lots of cool stuff wholesale stuff.      i used to have an account with these people through one of the shops i worked at... anybody who rebuilds carbs or messes with fuel injection for a living should download the various pages they have. they have stuff that nobody else has. because they make it... and they sell it to every carb shop.  the carb kits in the 6"x6"x1.5" boxes are theirs in various outer boxes.

http://walkerproducts.com/downloads/catalogs/2006HighPerformanceCatalog.pdf

http://walkerproducts.com

purplepickup

Quote from: "Dr Flowgood"Purple pickup, we have lots of ethanol gas here in Michigan........  
Doug
I guess I didn't know that.  I'd have thought that they would have to label it.  Sometimes I don't pay attention to things I don't know about. :wink:  

My mileage did drop like a rock.  I might have got some bad gas or or water in it or something.
George

wayne petty

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Dr Flowgood"Purple pickup, we have lots of ethanol gas here in Michigan........  
Doug
I guess I didn't know that.  I'd have thought that they would have to label it.  Sometimes I don't pay attention to things I don't know about. :wink:  

My mileage did drop like a rock.  I might have got some bad gas or or water in it or something.

mtbe and E-10+  blends are a way to reduce fuel economy to increase taxes payed per mile driven. scrapping cars in smog programs allow the buyer to extrapolate the amount of smog removed and to sell these smog credits to poluters who need them to continue to operate.

e85 multi fuel cars and trucks are just incase someone shuts off the tap from the middle east. rembember 1973?.
 10 gallon limits on odd or even days. people with only one car or both cars with odd or even plates were screwed...