removing smog accesories

Started by zzebby, September 02, 2007, 03:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Building a 72 Ford pickup for a daily and today brought home a Ford 5 liter and AOD with all the accessories.  It is out of a 93 Lincoln.  Was stripping off the misc stuff that won't be needed and see that there are steel lines from the back of the heads going into a valve of some sort that is plumbed to the smog pump.  Are  there exhaust gases coming out the back of the heads ??   Can I cap them off ?   If I can't get a shorter serpentine belt then I'll run the smog pump as is but no lines on it.  Will it last or should I put some oil in  it and cap it off.
Also,  any suggestions on a gas tank with integral pump that will fit along the frame.  Short box.
thanks

enjenjo

You can plug the holes in the head. I used an idler pulley to replace the air pump.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzebby

Did you make your own mounting brackets for the idler  or is there a similar idler ?
What did you do for a fuel pump?  It would sure be nice to find a factory tank that would fit along the frame  although all the tanks in the junk yard have axe holes in them.
Not to hijack my own post,  but the yard I was at yesterday had a 53 Buick 2 dr hardtop that almost brought a tear to my eye.  Beautiful style and lines and yet junk.   Floor was major rust,  but the shame was that the totally rust free body panels were mangled and shot up beyond repair.  They had the grill off  and I guess it'll be on the bay soon.  Sad rip.

enjenjo

The idler pulley was one I had laying around here, can't give you an application. Somehow I bolted it to brackets that were already there, as I recall there were a couple washers involved. Sorry to be so vague, but it's been a while. :oops:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Two quick notes. Early 4 cylinder S10s that don't have power steering have a serpentine belt have an idler on them. Or I'm looking with the wrong eye again. The latest "Rodder's Journal" has  feature on a '53 Buick that is a very nice custom. You could do what * Dean does a lot and just put that body on a later model chassis with floor. GPster

wayne petty

Quote from: "zzebby"Ford 5 liter Was stripping off the misc stuff that won't be needed and see that there are steel lines from the back of the heads going into a valve of some sort that is plumbed to the smog pump.  Are  there exhaust gases coming out the back of the heads ??   Can I cap them off ?   If I can't get a shorter serpentine belt then I'll run the smog pump as is but no lines on it.  Will it last or should I put some oil in  it and cap it off.

thanks

on many ford engines there are threaded holes in both ends of the heads that allow the smog pump to pump air into the exhaust ports to help heat the cats for the first 90 seconds or so.    FYI.. for pepole with fuel injection, the "upstream air" into these manifolds should only be on for the first 90 seconds or less.. if the diverter valve is damaged and leaking it will dilute the exhaust gasses flowing past the O2 sensor. and really screw up the fuel mixture.  down stream air goes into the pipe beyond the first O2 sensor or into the sides of the cat.  this downstream air will not affect fuel mixture.

ok,  these holes are threaded 5/8"-11, there are threaded inserts in the front of the heads that reduce the size to 3/8"-16. some engine builder may have some.. but just use a short cap screw like 5/8"-11 X 1'  aftermarket ones area available or even an allen set screw...

be sure to run a tap into the hole to clean out the carbon... but use a vacuum to clean out the debris... blowing into the hole may cause carbon /metal bits to blow into the exhaust ports... or if you have the exhaust manifold off blow air into the front exhaust port and each one further back in order just to be safe.. they all interconnect...

btw
the 5.0 cobra mustang heads with f3 or f4 casting numbers don't have air injection in them.   no bumps in the exhaust port either...and a slightly smaller chamber to boot.   for the big block ford guys the F3 casting 460 heads  also do not  have the air injection lumps.. looks like a much better exhaust port... for some reason there are footnotes everywhere about using 88 up 460 heads with carb manifolds...i had a set of d3 and f3 castings next to each other and could not see the differnce on the intake side.

Okiedokie

I gutted my air pump and use it as an idler pulley. No problems so far.

zzebby

Wayne Petty was right on........5/8 - 11  threaded holes.......retap...vacuum like he said ...........a little silicone on the bolt .........job done.......nice and neat and clean.
thanks Wayne