1149 Speed Week Videos

Started by Cword, August 30, 2007, 10:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cword

I finally converted and uploaded our in car videos last night.

The most interesting is probably my spin from August 12

The rest show the progression as we improved the trucks handling
In the beginning it was too heavy and steered like an overloaded pickup, which it was. August 11

After my spin we found it still wanting to go left August 13

Then August 14 thing were looking good when dad made a nice straight and fast pass.

Ted backed that up with another straight run on the 15th

and then dad made our fastest run that afternoon.

Going through the videos also added more evidence to show how rushed the final run, when I blew it up, was. Sitting at the start my hand comes up and turns off the camera, I thought I was turning it on. No video.

Mike
--

Mikej

I haven't watched all of them yet but thanks for posting them. Has got to be a major rush.

oiler

Quote from: "Cword"I finally converted and uploaded our in car videos last night.

The rest show the progression as we improved the trucks handling
In the beginning it was too heavy and steered like an overloaded pickup, which it was. August 11

After my spin we found it still wanting to go left August 13

Then August 14 thing were looking good when dad made a nice straight and fast pass.

Ted backed that up with another straight run on the 15th

and then dad made our fastest run that afternoon.

Going through the videos also added more evidence to show how rushed the final run, when I blew it up, was. Sitting at the start my hand comes up and turns off the camera, I thought I was turning it on. No video.

Mike

Does pulling the chute in a spin help get you out of it?
Or is it a natural reaction to saying "oh shiiit"
Jeff

river1

Quote from: "Cword"Sitting at the start my hand comes up and turns off the camera, I thought I was turning it on. No video.

Mike

a likely story :roll:  :roll:

more like destroying the evidence :wink:  :wink:

i won't tell if you won't :lol:  :lol:
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chris spokes

8) that was awsome ,i had to empty my pants after the first pass
he who has the most toys wins

Cword

Quote from: "oiler"
Does pulling the chute in a spin help get you out of it?
Or is it a natural reaction to saying "oh shiiit"
Jeff

The chute deployment could fail if the chute wraps around the car. If the chute does stay clear it will both slow and help straighten the car.  In the video you can see the chute pull the car straight, in fact you'll see a sort of pendulum effect as the car swings to straight on the chute.  
The chute is also your primary breaking system and since traveling in the wrong attitude at 195 mph could lead to even bigger problems, using it to slow the vehicle is a must.

I don't really recall an "Oh *" so much as a *, I lost it"  If you watch the video closely you'll see a couple of earlier "twitches" that I recovered from.  The whole acceleration was about trying to find the edge and stay on the controlled side of that edge. Thus getting as much acceleration out of the vehicle as possible.

Mike
--

Cword

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Cword"Sitting at the start my hand comes up and turns off the camera, I thought I was turning it on. No video.

Mike

a likely story :roll:  :roll:

more like destroying the evidence :wink:  :wink:

i won't tell if you won't :lol:  :lol:

Jim
That kind of goes with dad's strategy,
lay down the fastest run ever with the car, sabotage it (hitting the salt mound) and then put a stooge (me) in the drivers seat to bust the car so that no one has a chance to beat your speed  :lol:  :lol:
--

oldbobsign

WOW!!!  Watched them ALL and was blown away - amazing stuff!  Sends chills down my spine.  Thanks so much!

Jim
That kind of goes with dad's strategy,
lay down the fastest run ever with the car, sabotage it (hitting the salt mound) and then put a stooge (me) in the drivers seat to bust the car so that no one has a chance to beat your speed.
  Too funny :lol:

1FATGMC

Hi Mike, I finally just got DSL and was able to watch these.  Good video and to bad we didn't have video of the driver during the spin  8) .

Do you have a low oil pressure light that is coming on during the runs??  I think I noticed it about the 2 on Don's run on the 14th and earlier in Ted's run and then again during Don's afternoon run about the 4 or 5 mile.

Say hi to everyone,

Sum

Cword

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Hi Mike, I finally just got DSL and was able to watch these.  Good video and to bad we didn't have video of the driver during the spin  8) .

Do you have a low oil pressure light that is coming on during the runs??  I think I noticed it about the 2 on Don's run on the 14th and earlier in Ted's run and then again during Don's afternoon run about the 4 or 5 mile.

Say hi to everyone,

Sum

Hi Sum

I wish we had a low pressure oil light...

The light you see in the video is the shift light, it was set at 7600 rpm for every run we made.  The times it lit on dad's last run indicate just how fast he was going, 7600 in high gear,  that's hitting the 210 area in that last mile.

So far none of us have plans for world finals, that's our Thanks Giving weekend and would make the vacation day count a little lower, but our wallets need another few months to recharge.

Mike
--

Sean

Quote from: "Cword"

I just saw a quick glimpse of your spin on ABC Sports in the opening sequence. Sure looked like yours anyway...

[edit] Looked like it again at the closing sequence of the story. A front 3/4 shot moving towards the camera.

Cword

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "Cword"

I just saw a quick glimpse of your spin on ABC Sports in the opening sequence. Sure looked like yours anyway...

[edit] Looked like it again at the closing sequence of the story. A front 3/4 shot moving towards the camera.

That sounds interesting Sean,  I'm going to have to go on a search now.

Thanks!

Mike
--

bucketmouth

Thanks for the videos they were good to see.
Has a firm date been set for 2008 as yet. I've sent of a couple of emails but no reply.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.