Power Steering Pumps

Started by brti, August 26, 2007, 08:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brti

Ok gearheads,,, can you use a conventional power steering pump on a rack and pinion steering system? :roll: Is there a preasure issue?
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

phat46

Quote from: "brti"Ok gearheads,,, can you use a conventional power steering pump on a rack and pinion steering system? :roll: Is there a preasure issue?
\

I have a standard G.M. pump on my stock Must II rack. I did put a pressure reducer valve on it to stop it from being so touchy. It's been about 12 years and no leaks so far.....

billjharris

You do not really HAVE to do anything, however, it will have a tendency to overstear or be really quick without the pressure valve, that is the sure cure for good steering so you can relax and go down the road.

wayne petty

Quote from: "brti"Ok gearheads,,, can you use a conventional power steering pump on a rack and pinion steering system? :roll: Is there a preasure issue?

behind the 1 inch nut where the pressure hose threads into there is a spring and a plunger..

the plunger has a hex hollow nut screwed into the small end. i seem to recall you can change the amount of washers behind that nut to change the standard operating pressure.

that fitting also has a tiny screen to filter some debris that sometime become clogged be sure to check this.

and the 1 inch nuts can be had in several differnt tube sizes and styles in both inch and metric thread sizes.

inverted flair,  and O ring sealed are some.

btw if anyone experiances trouble changing  the pressure hose a few tips from wayne...

always use a backup wrench..   it is 1' and the same size at the quadrajet filter nuts.  so everybody has one  of those thin 1 inch stampped out of steel fuel filter wrenches..

if you dont and are changing the presure line cut the line off 3/4" to 1" past the tube nut (hacksaw or diagnols) and use a 6 point deep socket. sizes could be 5/8, 15mm, 16mm. 18mm,  

oh yea.  you can now get the 1 inch compbo wrench over the big nut to hold it while loosening the tube nut.    

last tip for all inverted flair fittings and other tight fittings.    break the tube nuts loose by tightening the tube nut first..  this really works and usually prevents rounding off the tube nut...   oh yea.    crow foot line wrenches... cheep from harbor freight..(keyword crowfoot). under 10 bucks

i put them on long extentions and loosen the pressure hoses on conventional steering boxes.  rembember tighten first just a little bit.  

i loaned one to a friend and reminded him to tighten it first... he did not understand the concept...  JUST ENOUGH TO MOVE IT. and handed my back by crow foot in 2 pieces... it was my fault..  i sent him off with my tranny stick and an 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar.  
(tranny stick  36" or longer extention 3/8 drive on the male end, 1/2" drive on the female end, used to remove the most hard to reach bellhousing bolts with a impact type universal socket on the tip...)

wayne ..

Learpilot

I am assuming you are talking about using a GM pump with a Mustang II rack. I know of three ways of getting the 1200 psi pump to work on a 600 psi rack. The first is to get a pump from a Dodge Omni. I am not sure what year,but they were not made very long.
The next way is to buy a Mustang II power steering flow valve from www.Speedwaymotors.com item # 91032918 for $19.98. I have a friend using this on his Street rod truck.
The last and I think the best is to get a Heidts adjustable power steering valve from www.heidts.com part # PS-101 for $79.00. They also offer a hose kit part # PS-114 for $49.00.
I have the Heidts on my 36 Dodge with Mustang II and I like the adjustability.
The draw back is that now you have 4 hoses going the the unit.
I hope this helps, Rick Harris

brti

This is on my friends '37 coupe. 8)  :roll:  He put a standard ford pump connected to a mustang rack. He complains that it is stiff and doesn't feel like power steering. Also he says it has a stiff feeling especially when recovering from a turn. It's all quite new and could be just needs break in.
         Thanks for your excellent comments, RRT is such an excellent forum. );b(

enjenjo

Quote from: "brti"This is on my friends '37 coupe. 8)  :roll:  He put a standard ford pump connected to a mustang rack. He complains that it is stiff and doesn't feel like power steering. Also he says it has a stiff feeling especially when recovering from a turn. It's all quite new and could be just needs break in.
         Thanks for your excellent comments, RRT is such an excellent forum. );b(

He has the hoses hooked up backwards.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

brti

I'll check that out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks :oops:  :(D)  :(D)  :(U)

brti

Well he hooked his hoses up opposite and blew the seals out of his rack. :shock:  :evil: So bad move :oops:

enjenjo

Quote from: "brti"Well he hooked his hoses up opposite and blew the seals out of his rack. :shock:  :evil: So bad move :oops:

That is strange. I have repaired a couple that guys have hooked up backwards, but I have not had one that blew the seals out. Was this a new or used rack?

brti

It was a brand new rack,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :oops:  Oh well, win some loose some. :roll:

brti

Update:  I found out that once the rack was removed you could see a crack about 1.5" long where the housing had split. :shock:

enjenjo

Sounds like a defect in the rack, one that shouldn't have been rebuilt.

brti

Must be like a flue bug around here,,,,, now I've  got two buds who've split their power steering rack housings.............  :shock: :cry:

Is there some where I can get a chart showing pump preasures for various makes?? :roll:  :roll:
Thanks guys for your help.......................... 8)
I guess one should match power steering rack & pinion with rack&pinion pump and solve all of this pain :roll:  :roll:

wayne petty

this is a delphi paper on ps system design...

http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2001-01-0479.pdf

should be of some help to the tech minded..