Oxygen Sensors

Started by 37fordcoupe, August 21, 2007, 08:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

37fordcoupe

Has anyone ever installed an Oxygen Sensors on there Street Rod to confirm Fuel/Air mixture? I know most FEI car have computers to adjust but has any tried on Carb Motors..

Darrell
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

37fordcoupe

Quote from: "37fordcoupe"Has anyone ever installed an Oxygen Sensors on there Street Rod to confirm Fuel/Air mixture? I know most EFI car have computers to adjust but has any tried on Carb Motors..

Darrell

58Apache

I haven't done it yet, but it is in my plans.

I have dual exhaust, and with the two idle mixture screws on a spreadbore quadrajet, I figure these sensors will help me to adjust the idle screws to dead nuts on.

I'm no expert here, but I believe you adjust the size of ..oh what are those pins called ....  for high idle.

I figure these sensors will help me figure out what's going on low and high and with one on each side....before my x-pipe, I should be able to fine tune things rather well.

Better to know than to guess?

Steve

1FATGMC

I have had one for years and now have two.  The narrow band O2 I have says it is accurate from about 12 to 17 on the ratio, but after getting a much better wideband one I can see it is quite a ways off at the extremes, still it lets you know what is going on.

The Calmini narrow band was a hundred something and has 11 LEDS and I think it is better than most narrow band meters.

The wide band are the only really accurate ones if you want to see what is going on at other than 14.7 to 1 and is what you should spend your money on if performance tuning.

http://www.xenocron.com/catalog/lm1-airfuel-ratio-meter-kit-p-59.html

I have Innovate's LM-1 and we also use one of these on Hooleys car.  It is extremely accurate and I feel the best of the bunch in wide band meters.  It will also data log the air/fuel and up to 5 other 5 volt inputs for 40 minutes.  Put one of these on and build a TPS to go with it (  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/LM-1%20TPS.htm  ) and you can really see what is going on while you drive the car and later on the computer.  It isn't cheap at $350, but you can easily move it from vehicle to vehicle.  Get one and you will like it.

One last thing if you get one of these and have driving problems all of a sudden and it is going real lean you have ignition problems (ask me how I know).  They read the O2 level and if you have no spark the O2 is not burning and it will read lean.

I'll always have one from now on.  The LM-1 will also send an O2 signal to a computer if you go EFI.

c ya,

Sum

37fordcoupe

1FATGMC

Thanks for all the information on the Inovate LM-1 I bought one this morning from DYNO-TUNE for $299.00 with two bungs, one for each side.Where is the best location for mounting the bungs to obtain the best readings?

During my trip to Detroit's Woodward Cruise last week my brother in-law had a oxgen sensor mounted on his Harley Davison just for Tuning his bike. And since my car seems to be running Rich I thought this would work.

Thanks Again
Darrell

1FATGMC

Quote from: "37fordcoupe"1FATGMC

Thanks for all the information on the Inovate LM-1 I bought one this morning from DYNO-TUNE for $299.00 with two bungs, one for each side.Where is the best location for mounting the bungs to obtain the best readings?

During my trip to Detroit's Woodward Cruise last week my brother in-law had a oxygen sensor mounted on his Harley Davison just for Tuning his bike. And since my car seems to be running Rich I thought this would work.

Thanks Again
Darrell

That was fast  8) . You will like it. If you are confused about anything with it, such as downloading the data or the software just ask or call.

If you run headers I would put it in the exhaust pipe just past the collector to read all the cylinders on that side.  I would strongly advise running a throttle position sensor along with it.  You will find it very useful to see what the air/fuel is at different throttle openings so that you know which circuit you are tuning.  Tuning the idle will be a snap as you can put the meter where you can see it while you adjust the idle air screws.  You can put it withing sight in the car also while driving, but it is still easier to data log the air/fuel and throttle position and look at the graphs with the software after the fact.

I put a link to a TPS I made.  A simpler one, and I'll post that at some time, is get a TPS off a GM tuneport that has a lever on the side of it.  Make a simple bracket to mount it near the carb and run a wire or chain (like used with cruise control) from it to the linkage at some point and you are all set.  Wire it like on that page.

c ya,

Sum