1935 Ford Grille

Started by 35WINDOW, August 16, 2007, 10:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

35WINDOW

G'morning,

I am searching for ideas and insight-I am building a '35 Ford Five Window Coupe, and I am having trouble finding an Aftermarket Grille (I don't want a Stock one)-I am looking for a Stainless Grille (or Aluminum), and my choices are limited (that I can find)-here are the choices:

*Grille Art-nice guy, TWO Year waitlist, $2300.00

*Alumicraft-no longer has a website (kind of suspicious), and I've heard some nightmares about them.

*Hot Rods and Memorabilia-seems to be a reseller, doesn't know how long the wait would be, not very helpful which is concerning-

*turn it into a '36 (just now getting ready to order my Wescott's Fenders and running boards, could easily turn it into a '36)-price $300.00

There seem to be so many '36's (and I think a lot of guys turn '35's into '36's), but it is what it is-

Any ideas?

GPster

Don't know if it would be any easier, but, you could turn it into a '36 and put a LaSalle grill on it. I hate to say how long ago but at one time they did a build on a '36 roadster in Rod and Custom and the LaSalle grill was supposed to be an "old time" customizers trick. My main concern would be paperwork on the change. If you made it look like a '36 their might be some question about titling it as a '35. If you had an entirely different nose on it any question would be moot. It might help you to find all the build articles because the descriptions of differance between '35 and '36 were listed. There was a question if what they were working on was a '35 because of the nose that was on it in the salvage yard when they secured it. Of course they went to great lengths  to explain the reason for putting a Rambler motor in it. GPster

35WINDOW

Quote from: "GPster"Don't know if it would be any easier, but, you could turn it into a '36 and put a LaSalle grill on it. I hate to say how long ago but at one time they did a build on a '36 roadster in Rod and Custom and the LaSalle grill was supposed to be an "old time" customizers trick. My main concern would be paperwork on the change. If you made it look like a '36 their might be some question about titling it as a '35. If you had an entirely different nose on it any question would be moot. It might help you to find all the build articles because the descriptions of differance between '35 and '36 were listed. There was a question if what they were working on was a '35 because of the nose that was on it in the salvage yard when they secured it. Of course they went to great lengths  to explain the reason for putting a Rambler motor in it. GPster

GPster,

Thanks for the ideas-the problem with using a LaSalle Grille (at least in my mind) is that I'm building it in a "Hot Rod" style (rake, Tubbed 12" wide wheels in rear, BBC), so I am not looking for that "Kustom" type of look-

As far as the differences, it appears that as far as the Frame, and general Body are concerned, they are identical, with minor differences (on the Cowl, the later '35's had an "X" stamped in it, there were some differences in the Window Regulators and such)-mine is a late '35, so with the exception of the Serial Number (which I don't think will be on File as this car hasn't seen the road in over 30 Years), ti could be an issue, but I am hoping that I could Title it as a '36 (if I HAVE to)- :cry:

GPster

One point I seem to remember about the '35/'36 difference had to do with the frame and front crossmember connection. There seemed to be a gusset riveted in. One year was trianglar shaped and one year it was just a strap riveted in at an angle. They showed pictures of both and that is what I remember from the captions. GPster

If you decide to convert it to a 36.....Do yourself a favor and don't buy one of those $300 aftermarket grills made in Argentina.....That is the same one nearly all of the vendors sell.They are very poorly constructed and fit even worse.I just dug out an old original 36 grill that I've had stored away for years and sold it to a fellow thats been trying to make one of those South American nightmares fit his car for months.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

35WINDOW

Thank you for the update-I'm about ready to just get in the "waiting line" and pay my dues-I may have to take the long way around and buy two Grilles (one to get me by, and wait for the one I really want)-it seems like '36's are becoming like '32's-there are more on the road than Henry made-at this point I have pretty much decided to keep it a '35-

Thanks to you for the warning-I will definitely heed it-