really good rad cleaner

Started by brti, August 15, 2007, 01:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brti

Does anyone know of a really good rad cleaner? I have this rad it's 50 yrs old but mint and I have a flow problem with it,,,,,,,,,,, is recore my only hope?
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

BFS57

Hello;
I'm no expert on radiators, but my experience has been to have the tanks removed by a professional shop and have it cleaned out! This way, there is no guessing game or time wasted! But if you have lots of time, no money, you could fiddle around with additives and eventually pull the thing and have it done right! (to each their own)
One thing I have found out is when it comes to questionable parts it saves time, money, and frustration to just get rid of the old (or in your case) have it properly re-built! This way everyone gets to spend more time cruising than fixin.

Bruce

bowtietillidie

Years  ago I used to own a radiator shop and one of my suppliers showed me a little trick on how to tell if a radiator needed replaced or re cored .
Using the fingernail of the index finger . Put some pressure on the fingernail and drag it up and down the core cooling fins in several places .    If the cooling fins do not lay over  the radiator is repairable .  If the fins stay laid over get yourself a new or better conditioned radiator  This little tip comes in real handy when buying a used radiators
BOWTIETILLIDIE

Inprimer

Quote from: "brti"Does anyone know of a really good rad cleaner? I have this rad it's 50 yrs old but mint and I have a flow problem with it,,,,,,,,,,, is recore my only hope?
I had my son's rad "reamed", boiled out, and both ends resoldered, painted black  for around $85.00  check around in your area, I was new to lake Havasu at the time so I asked 3 different streetrodders and all gave the same radiator guy the nod, money well spent.

brti

Thanks guys! Basically told me what I already knew but hey, thought there might be some "magic"solution out there. Where I live a recore is about $350 and a boil out and rodding is $200. There is a place where they will build you whatever you want out of aluminum (dam, how do you spell that) :oops: for about $400.  :roll:  :roll:  Oh well, now to decide where to throw my hard earned cash. :shock:  :shock:  Might try steam cleaner decalcifier,,,,, I'll let you know if my rad melts. :shock:
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

enjenjo

I would spring for the recore. The cores they produce now will outcool the old cores by a big margin.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

paul5456

There are a number of guys on FORDBARN that swear by using vinegar.  They fill the system, run it a while (On the road) then dump it.  Supposed to clean out everything.

enjenjo

Quote from: "paul5456"There are a number of guys on FORDBARN that swear by using vinegar.  They fill the system, run it a while (On the road) then dump it.  Supposed to clean out everything.

If you do this, make sure you neutralise it by running itwith baking soda after draining, it can get real nasty fast.

58Apache

OK, I'm a rookie and have some dumb questions on radiators.

Why do they paint radiators? I would think you'd get a better heat transfer from air to metal without paint in between? No A/C coils are ever painted. Is it to prevent oxidation of the metal to make it last longer?

Wouldn't black help keep heat in attract? Why Black?

I think I remember some old rodders polishing the brass part of the radiators , especially on T-Buckets. Other than needing cleaned/polished more often, what would be the drawback to removing the paint and polishing the brass tanks?

Steve

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "58Apache"
Wouldn't black help keep heat in attract? Why Black?

From what I have been able to learn, black transmits (expels) heat faster than other colors.

This may seem contradictory, as black also absorbs heat faster than other colors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

It would be more correct to say that black transfers heat better. Either in, or out.