Just got in from Knoxville

Started by 48ford, August 12, 2007, 09:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

We just got in from the sprint car nats in Knoxville Iowa.
Donny Schats won for again for two years in a row now.
Schats will be driving for Tony Stewert starting next year.
I wanted to get together with JusJunk,but The Races were cancled for wed. and boy did it rain,No Joke like 8"
We were running late when we got to the motel in Pella.
Then Wed show was run on thurs.
Thurs on friday,
Fridays on saturday at Noon and sat night show on sat. night.
Boy did it get HOT,close to 100 everyday.
I found out that Verizon phones do not work in Pella or Knoxville Iowa
I notice that the nats are not drawing the cars as they did in the past(only around 120), The speedway did not sell out and show,and the motel had empty rooms
With al the storms I think Dave(jusjunk) ,who was going for the first time probably just pushed on. To where he was going .
We got hung up in Chicago on the way home and lost an hour(like every year)
Seen a lot of bikes(on trailers) going east ,coming from Stergis(sp)
Thats all I know
Russ

Dave

Quote from: "48ford"We just got in from the sprint car nats in Knoxville Iowa.
Donny Schats won for again for two years in a row now.
Schats will be driving for Tony Stewert starting next year.
I wanted to get together with JusJunk,but The Races were cancled for wed. and boy did it rain,No Joke like 8"
We were running late when we got to the motel in Pella.
Then Wed show was run on thurs.
Thurs on friday,
Fridays on saturday at Noon and sat night show on sat. night.
Boy did it get HOT,close to 100 everyday.
I found out that Verizon phones do not work in Pella or Knoxville Iowa
I notice that the nats are not drawing the cars as they did in the past(only around 120), The speedway did not sell out and show,and the motel had empty rooms
With al the storms I think Dave(jusjunk) ,who was going for the first time probably just pushed on. To where he was going .
We got hung up in Chicago on the way home and lost an hour(like every year)
Seen a lot of bikes(on trailers) going east ,coming from Stergis(sp)
Thats all I know
Russ

Russ we foud a room at newton.. there was a cancellation because of a heart attack :?:  That sucks ive been there done that. We went to the track and to the museum and to the little bar across the street.. Ya we got wet but we had fun and ive seen outlaw races before so at least i got to experience the scenery get some t shirts proving i was really there and we got to get a good look at the track. :!:   My cingular has worked the whole trip from michigan. Only once did sue loos a signal then my kid called me 5 minutes later and we chatted for 15 minutes while runnin 80+
Down the eway.. Her phone is mucked up cAUSE THE off on key wont work so its always on :!:  there is a cingular store 1 block away from where we are and ill hit it tomorrow cause its under warranty.. Hey dnner is ready i got pics to post tonite too..
Dave :arrow:

EMSjunkie

Donny Schotz ran pretty good, watched it on the TV.
kinda dissapointed my boy "Neon Dion" Hindi didn't run better.
but ya know, just makin' the show at Knoxville is something to be proud of :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Donny Schotz ran pretty good, watched it on the TV.

Vance

After seein' the track surface "up close & personal" a couple of times, just making it around that place on your wheels is something to be proud of ..
Nobody believes me when I tell then "it's like driving through a cornfield " at 125 +.... :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Vance

After seein' the track surface "up close & personal" a couple of times, just making it around that place on your wheels is something to be proud of ..
Nobody believes me when I tell then "it's like driving through a cornfield " at 125 +.... :shock:

Worst track ive ever seen is the old wabash indiana track. I was there the last night they ever raced there and I shoulda went to the bar instead. I swear the ruts were 2 ft deep and they never graded it. musta been sumpin about the last race.. That black dirt is very interesting at knoxville.  Sure aint like the eldora clay.....
Dave :arrow:  :wink:

EMSjunkie

I unnerstand the "ruts", hook one with the right rear at about 120+ mph :shock: it'll make ya turn righ when ya don't wanna :evil:

our local track had that "red" clay on it for about 5 years. it was like driving thru a corn field at 100mph :x
ownership changed, the new folks scraped all the red clay off, and replaced it with black clay. it still ruts up real bad, especially in the corners. haven't raced on the black clay, so I can't tell ya first hand about it. :oops:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Vance

Worst track ive ever seen is the old wabash indiana track. I was there the last night they ever raced there and I shoulda went to the bar instead. I swear the ruts were 2 ft deep and they never graded it. musta been sumpin about the last race.. That black dirt is very interesting at knoxville.  Sure aint like the eldora clay.....

I'm happy you finally got to see it...On our first visit we spent 3 hours in the museum alone...There's stuff there that bring's back LOTS of memories...We drove THAT  :?:  :shock:  :shock:  Is the '29 Chevie sedan & "period" garage scene still there???
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Vance

I'm happy you finally got to see it...On our first visit we spent 3 hours in the museum alone...There's stuff there that bring's back LOTS of memories...We drove THAT  :?:  :shock:  :shock:  Is the '29 Chevie sedan & "period" garage scene still there???

The other wierd thing of the trip was seeing kelly sue brathwaite's picture on the museum wall for the women drivers. She is married now and of course  A different last name (i think its lamon) she hasnt driven for quite a few years and i see her dad every year at the old timers reunion and he had his restored sprinter down at the cruise for irl weekend in jackson. :!:  I didnt know it but i was with my buddy that i finished the yellow 30 model a for and art (kelly sue's dad) was telling my buddy randy how he wanted to buy his sprinter when he sold it. I made that car run for the last time before he sold it  :!: Small world but when your wrenching racing and drinking some things dont connect  :!:  Art still works on cars and his slogan is if he cant fix it it cant be fixed  :!:  :!: but his other slogan is if its a sprint or a midget he will work on it but if its got fenders there are other guys  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Im heading out to dinner.
Lat..r
Dave