Exhaust Tips - Recommendations - Guidance

Started by msuguydon, August 08, 2007, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Hey ALL:

I have been wanting to add some square, stainless steel exhaust tips on the tuna boat, right now I have dual 2", round stainless exhaust pipes.  

The reason I want to add the tips is two fold, first I want change the sound of the exhaust, second I like the way the square tips look.  Will the tips noticeable change the sound?

I saw a brand called "Megs" in the Jegs catalog. Seemed a tad pricey at $52 a tip, does anyone have a recommendation on a place I kind get some for less cash.

As I cannot weld, and I think I want weld on tips... is it best to find an exhaust place and just buy the tips through them or buy what I want and have them install?

Give me your thoughts please..
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

EMSjunkie

Personally, I don't like the "Megs".  
they are just that, a megaphone for the exhaust. IMHO, it makes your car sound like a big 4X4 cowboy truck :shock:

I put a set of Stainlees Chevy "bow tie" tips on my cpe.  didn't really make that much difference sound wise.

I'd ask the fellers at the exhaust place, they are trained Professionals, please don't try this at home :lol:

glad to see ya back, we were afraid you got talked into "Deer hunting" with 'ole Wheezer :shock:  :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Fat Cat

To change the tone of your exhaust your going to need to do one of 2 things either install a chambered muffler and/or install bigger tail pipes. The only way to change the note of an exhaust system is to give the exhaust a place to bounce around in. The more room to bounce the deeper the tone will be. So given that you have 2" tail pipes I would suggest that you replace them with 2 1/2" pipes. The straighter they are the better it will be for tone quality. Any bends in one side not in the other will change the tone from side to side. Another thing you could do is replace the last couple of feet of exhaust with 3" pipe. So if you go 2" into the muffler, 2 1/2" out with a 3" end section you would get quite a bit of bounce output on your exhaust.

UGLY OLDS

Don...Just a thought ...If you're looking for a "square" Stainless steel tip, look at a stock '69 Roadrunner...( look on E-Bay...Lotsa neat pictures) ..Those are square-"ish" & should be less $$$ than the "flashy" ones....Just a thought.... ( Boy , you had us scared with that Michigan thing... :shock: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

msuguydon

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Don...Just a thought ...If you're looking for a "square" Stainless steel tip, look at a stock '69 Roadrunner...( look on E-Bay...Lotsa neat pictures) ..Those are square-"ish" & should be less $$$ than the "flashy" ones....Just a thought.... ( Boy , you had us scared with that Michigan thing... :shock: )

OHHHH yeah, parts for a 69 Road Runner are very reasonable  :roll:

but I did find a gently used set on E-pay....  :D
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

couper

I have a pair of Megs on my coupe that are oval, angle beveled in at the bottoms and with a rolled outer edge. I've got 2 1/2 in. pipe all the way from the headers through Mustang GT mufflers. Personally, I think it's got a great sound (not like a rapping cherry bomb glasspack pop). but rather a deep throated rumble.
I don't remember who I bought them from, seems like it was a vendor like 'Yearwood' at the nationals for around 25.00 or 30.00 a piece.
Surely Megs would have a website you could buy direct from by now?.
Lance

WZ JUNK

I have had Megs cone tips on the old truck for years.  I like the way they sound.  A hot rod should sound like a hot rod.  Now my daily driver is quiet as I do not like to hear it running.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH