Adjusting triangulated 4 bars?

Started by seadog, August 07, 2007, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I'm setting up the rear end of my Deuce chassis.  Do the adjustable ends of the LOWER bars go toward the front or toward the back... or does it matter?  I have the TOP bars with the adjustable ends toward the rear, so they are accessable from under the car when/if they need furter adjustment.  Thanks.

Dave

Quote from: "seadog"I'm setting up the rear end of my Deuce chassis.  Do the adjustable ends of the LOWER bars go toward the front or toward the back... or does it matter?  I have the TOP bars with the adjustable ends toward the rear, so they are accessable from under the car when/if they need furter adjustment.  Thanks.

If i remember right someone once told me the adjusters were toward the front.. I could be wrong on that one and I dont care cause I put mine at the rear both top and bottom. I just figured it was easier to adjust that way .. Here I found this link and it says to the front but I dont know why it would matter..
Dave
http://www.streetrodparts.tv/Install_rear-4-link-28-34.htm

Dave

on my front bars the adjusters are at the rear and the are the angled ends so the have to be there as far as this 4 bar goes.. I had hairpins on the coupe and loved em but 4 bars work too. Now after looking at the rear and the trouble I had after paint on getting the adjusters in the  brackets top and bottom in been just as well off to put em forward but thats a thinker also..  You cant get em outta the top front no way no how so to the rear they go..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

ps: remember too the bottom bars could be lengthed to push the pinion down. As long as the angle is the same as the engine and tranny it dont matter it its up or down they just have to match.

UGLY OLDS

OK all you angleneers & otherwise more experienced folks...'Ol Ugly need some help...

The triangulated four bar susp on the back of my Model A has an issue...I'm still in the mock-up stage so's I can still make some changes if neccessary...

Here's the issue...I know that the lower bar SHOULD be parallel to the ground at ride height, BUT, what happens if's it's not ?? My bars are VERY short ( 15" upper & 18" lower) , and I'm trying to avoid having a bracket hang 9" or 10" below the frame for a front lower bar mount..

My current setup has the REAR lower pivot,( at the axle ), 5" below the axle centerline. The lower bar has a 9* angle UP to the front lower bar frame mount.  The upper bars will be parallel to the ground. The suspension has approx 4 to 5" of of total travel..The above info is with the shocks collapsed 33% -( preferred ride height)

I know in a "4-Link" situation this would cause rear end "squat " on acceleration.  My issue is that I'm NOT that concerned about how the car "hooks up" .. A 2500# car with the powertrain & tires I'm running  is never gonna hook-up anyway... My concern is whats going to happen on "off ramps" ...Highway driving ..Braking ..Bumps ..Interstate dips & etc.. Model A's are top heavy anyway & I sure don't need any "surprises" ...The front end is an I-beam & hairpins ...No issues there...

Sorry to steal your thread Seadog ,but this one's about got my forehead flat......Idea's anyone ???          Thanks Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Forehead? The last time I saw you, your head went straight back from your eyebrows :shock:

Angled down at the rear will make the car tend to understeer a bit, Push if you are from NC. It should not be an issue, most factory cars have the lower bars angled down at the rear about the same amount. Alsp GM lower bars are about 19" long.

Raising the back of the upper bars will help it hook up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Forehead? The last time I saw you, your head went straight back from your eyebrows :shock:

Push if you are from NC.  
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Thats what i was thinking anyway but thats the race mechanic in me.. Oh ya im from Michign remember
Dave

UGLY OLDS

Thanks Frank :!:  :!:   That means:

A...It ain't broke ..... :shock:

B...It don't need no fixin....... :D  :D

( But I think we got 'Ol Dave a little confushed... :?  :? )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****