MII strut rod Bracket Construction

Started by rooster, July 24, 2007, 09:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I need to know if this bracket is strong enough, I have 1/4" material to build with. Will
make the pieces and have someone weld it up.

enjenjo

yes. The only thing I would add is a gusset on side A up the inside of the frame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Just remember, DON'T BEND THE STRUT ROD!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

rooster

Quote from: "sirstude"Just remember, DON'T BEND THE STRUT ROD!

Doug

Thats the idea I have, build around the strut rod in its resting position. There will be a large hole in the bracket for the fitting of the bisket rubber, with the bisket not installed I will have to zero in on center of strut and it sweet spot that in allignment with the a-arm pivot bolt. Thanks for the input.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"yes. The only thing I would add is a gusset on side A up the inside of the frame.
Not quite sure where you mean, is this it?

enjenjo

Yes, but perpendicular to the frame.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes, but perpendicular to the frame.
ok, like this then. Does that piece have to be welded from the back side?

enjenjo

You can stand that piece straight up, and bisect the angle of the strut bracket and the lower reinforcement. The idea is to brace the top of the bracket so it's supported by two sides of the frame.

Charlie Chops 1940

Yes, but rotate it so the part that ouches the frame is at 90 degrees to the frame and still intersects the angle in the bracket - right Frank?

Charlie

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"yes. The only thing I would add is a gusset on side A up the inside of the frame.
siURL=http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp07462nm8.jpg][/URL]
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rooster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Yes, but rotate it so the part that ouches the frame is at 90 degrees to the frame and still intersects the angle in the bracket - right Frank?

Charlie

Quote from: "rooster"
siURL=http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp07462nm8.jpg][/URL]

Is this it?

enjenjo

Now you have it. The one on the left should be enough.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Now you have it. The one on the left should be enough.

Thanks!
:D

I'm going to have to move this 1/4" material in the direction of the arm end a few degrees, can I cut it parschely and move where it needs to be then reweld or just do it as 2 pieces?

The other thing is whats the best way to get the hole for the bushing in the 1/4" bracket? Drill,torch,ect.

enjenjo

Either way will work on bending the metal. I hole saw the strut bushing holes.

rooster

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day removing the 3/16" mounting plates that
were part of the bracket that failed ! This would make the new bracket fit flush. If had to
do it again I think I would have left them.

In the process of removing them I cut into the frame abit, this revealed the the metal of
the frame it appears to be 2 pieces of metal  3/16"? laped. I expected to see more metal
then that. Is it common practice to weld 1/4" material for brackets to the frame . Does
the frame need beefed up? If you look closely you can see the laping of the metal in the frame at the drilled hole.

The 1/4" bracket material is getting cut today, it will be 3" wide.

enjenjo

Yes the frame was made of two pieces there, one sleeved inside the other. Welding 1/4" to it should be no problem.