Tire Pressure Question ??

Started by 34ford, July 17, 2007, 11:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Just wondering what kinda pressure anyone is running?? The coupe is a glass body with a small block chevy. Talked to some guys and they said 18-20, 18 being for a hiboy and 20 for a full fendered car such as mine. Finally got it together and on the road,  still have to polish out the side panel for the hood. Here's what it looks like now after 8 1/2 years of working on it doing it all myself at home. Thanks in advance.

bob

Nick32Vic

Quote from: "34ford"Just wondering what kinda pressure anyone is running?? The coupe is a glass body with a small block chevy. Talked to some guys and they said 18-20, 18 being for a hiboy and 20 for a full fendered car such as mine. Finally got it together and on the road,  still have to polish out the side panel for the hood. Here's what it looks like now after 8 1/2 years of working on it doing it all myself at home. Thanks in advance.

bob

I could be wrong but that seems way low for a radial. I would think 30-35. Too little pressure can be a bad thing. Now on bias ply tires I usually run 22-24 lbs of pressure on my 32 highboy.

phat46

Seems a little low to me too. Sounds like it's time to experiment.
That is a  nice coupe BTW!!!!

Dave

On my 34 and my 32 i ran 24 to 26 in the fronts and 20 in the rear..
Yup they were radials.
Dave :arrow:

rumrumm

I have been running 22 in fronts and 18 in the rears, and that seems about right. Very cool car, Bob. Your work has paid off big time!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Carnut

I'm a lumberwagon kinda guy, I like stiff shocks and hard tires.

I've always run in the 30's in the littles and 5 or 10 less in the bigs.

EMSjunkie

* 34 Dude :!:  :!:

I run 32 on all 4 corners.

your hard work has paid off 8)

where did you get your body?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Well I have never done this but someday[oh sure] I will. Read it somewhere and makes sense. After warming up tires,  make a chaulk mark across tire treads and drive a mile or so. When air pressure is perfect, chaulk mark will be gone, or at least evenly degraded. If only the center is gone, too much pressure, if only outer edges, too little.

Mikej

Looks very nice Bob. You will need to play around with the tire pressures. Even wear and good handling. I can tell if the fronts don't have enough because it plows into corners and wanders abit. Tires aren't shocks and springs. I run 26psi in the rears and 28 to 30psi in the front.

model a vette

1) Pump the tires to the pressure you think is good.
2) Spread a little talcum powder on the floor and push the car thru it.
3) See if the contact pattern is even.

If too light in the middle add air.
If too light on the edges lower pressure.

You can do the same thing with a water puddle but it is a little more difficult.
Ed

Dave

Quote from: "model a vette"1) Pump the tires to the pressure you think is good.

You can do the same thing with a water puddle but it is a little more difficult.

Why :?:  :?:  :?: I drink enuff that I have to pee a lot  :?: Wouldnt that work  :?:
Dave :?:

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "model a vette"1) Pump the tires to the pressure you think is good.

Why :?:  :?:  :?: I drink enuff that I have to pee a lot  :?: Wouldnt that work  :?:
Dave :?:

Yeah, but your puddle would have a proof rating... :wink:
Why melt a perfectly good tire... :?:  :D

I could see Sue's face when she sees you whizzzing on the shop floor, and you tell her you're checking the air in your tires... 8)  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Carnut

Ah, overinflate and save gas.

34ford

Thanks for the info guys. I'll play around with different pressures. Only bad thing is I put the flush mount type valve stems on the inside of the rims cause I didn't want a stem on the outer rim.  :shock:  Makes changing air pressure a pain in the rear. That's something Dave probably would have done.  :D  :D  :D   Sorry Dave but had to mention that.  

Vance it an Outlaw body. Great smooth body to start with. I had a C M C 34 before that I did and then sold. The attachment is of the c m c car. Put a lot of work into that car to make it look good.

Bob

Crosley.In.AZ

I run 40 psi in my Dodge tires..... trying to make square tires round again
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)