I saw something new today

Started by phat46, July 15, 2007, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I went to a local carshow today and there was a whole row of import "tuners" there. Out of curiousity I went and looked under the opened hoods. It was mostly cosmetic add ons, but one guy had a small blower attached to his Scion "box" I asked about it and he said it was a part directly from Japan, not available domestically.  He pointed out to me that the blower had a clutch on the front, much like an air conditioner clutch. He said it could be set to engage at a preset RPM, controled of course by his computer.  I have never seen a blower that could be turned off and on, is this new, or did i miss the boat on this?

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "phat46"I have never seen a blower that could be turned off and on, is this new, or did i miss the boat on this?

Our '95 Toyota Previa (minivan) has a clutched supercharger on its 4-cyl engine.  .....It really makes the 4 perform like a larger engine.

On the factory set-up,  the computer engages the supercharger when the engine is under heavy load, or if the throttle is opened rapidly.  ......Blipping the throttle will cause the supercharger clutch to engage.

Boost comes on smoothly,  but when the supercharger cuts in, it is noticeable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Carps

I think Mercedes Benz did iot first back in the 1930s.

Toyota have a number of engines use the technology to deliver instant power whenever it's needed.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.