Is this safe?

Started by jaybee, July 12, 2007, 12:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Awesome car under construction with pictures here:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/dalejr/dalejr_main.htm
But would you put a car on this:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/dalejr/popups/dalejr-418_pic.htm

I don't have an opinion, just asking if you believe it could be made safe.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Awesome car under construction with pictures here:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/dalejr/dalejr_main.htm
But would you put a car on this:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/dalejr/popups/dalejr-418_pic.htm

I don't have an opinion, just asking if you believe it could be made safe.

I guess it depends on what they are really made out of???
Dave

Leon

They look plenty strong to me.  They are like a 7 inch square post with the advantage of a wider footprint.

enjenjo

Sure. It's the same thing they lift buildings with. Good old cribbing
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

Quote from: "enjenjo"Sure. It's the same thing they lift buildings with. Good old cribbing

They really did a good job with that cribbing. Every piece the same and all stacked squarely.

Harry

Quote from: "Mikej"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Sure. It's the same thing they lift buildings with. Good old cribbing

They really did a good job with that cribbing. Every piece the same and all stacked squarely.

And they are fastened together. Not just stacked.

jaybee

Thanks for your input.  I recognized it as being similar in concept, my main thought being that in construction the load is always straight down through the cribbing whereas the tires are trying to push it apart at the top.  I figured if sound it's a good way to get a car up where you can work on it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

EMSjunkie

We do that all the time when we have to extricate a person from a motor vehicle accident.  cribbing is very helpful when ya gotta support something heavy or awkward.

wonder if we can "crib up" 'ole Barney  :?:  :idea:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"We do that all the time when we have to extricate a person from a motor vehicle accident.  cribbing is very helpful when ya gotta support something heavy or awkward.

Vance

Wait another year or two when he is in diapers.

Never mind, I misunderstood :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"We do that all the time when we have to extricate a person from a motor vehicle accident.  cribbing is very helpful when ya gotta support something heavy or awkward.

Vance

Ya know thinnin bout it its gonna be a long weekend tryin to keep up with the kids. I could prolly use some of that stuff to lean on fer a bit in the afternoon :lol: Dam heart attack ruined it for last july so's im a gonna set all them kids straight this year.
:lol: oh ya hell ya its a party someone pass the metamuscil (spelling)
Ha Ha
Dave :lol:

Husker

I would say that depends on how well the boards are put together. I don't think I would crawl under it but it looks like it would be as stable as any jack stands.

Rrumbler

QuoteI would say that depends on how well the boards are put together. I don't think I would crawl under it but it looks like it would be as stable as any jack stands.

I agree.  If it is not shoved around, or has the car "dropped" on it, or such, it is quite safe.  I used to have a bunch of "blocks", made of 2 x 4 stud grade cut to about 17-1/2", and laid five wide in two layers crosswise to each other, and screwed together.  Stacked seven high, they were almost 24 inches of basically solid wood, and I used them as safety blocks when I was working under a car on the ground, and doing something that had me pulling or pushing or * things around; if a jackstand failed or slipped, the "blocks" would keep the car off of me - never had to test them, but I felt safer.  I just stacked as many up as I needed, placed under the lowest part of the car.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.