Using Plymouth/Dodge Caravan leaf springs in a coupe.

Started by Erick, July 10, 2007, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

I'm setting up the rear end for a 29 Essex coupe and need different leaf springs. I remember that the rear leaf springs from a Dodge/Plymouth minivan worked good and it was important to staggar the shocks. What were the years that would work? I tried to do a search but couldn't really find anything. I did find a 92 Dodge Caravan for cheap, but I can't remember the years that were listed. The coupe that I'm building will be run without fenders and I am using a rear end from a 76 Maverick. Thanks for the help. Erick

enjenjo

92 will work. They will work as long as they are the original boxy body style.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I'm thinking that Frank means the '90 style with the large square headlights.  I don't have a pic, and none turn up in ebay.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

ragdol

I seem to remember there were 2 lengths. What is the best length spring? Larry.

Bib_Overalls

Friend has a 28 Essex two door sedan on the original frame.  He is using the Essex sprong hangers and shackles.  Had a spring shop in Memphis make new springs to the old specs.  Running it with a Chevy rear axle.

The Essex is set up so the springs are slightly wider apart at the rear.  Supposedly makes the vehicle more stable.  But it makes it difficult to bring the wheels close to the body.  And the rear frame horns sitick way back behind the body.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"92 will work. They will work as long as they are the original boxy body style.

Is this the boxy body style?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-Dodge-Caravan-V-6-3-0-14-tires-many-new-parts_W0QQitemZ110146659928QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes. They used the same springs as the earlier ones. The jelly bean styled one uses longer springs. You want the shorter ones.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"92 will work. They will work as long as they are the original boxy body style.

Is this the boxy body style?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-Dodge-Caravan-V-6-3-0-14-tires-many-new-parts_W0QQitemZ110146659928QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yes. They used the same springs as the earlier ones. The jelly bean styled one uses longer springs. You want the shorter ones.

Then this must be Jellybean?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Dodge-Caravan_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQihZ001QQitemZ110147628605QQrdZ1

Dave

Jelly beans :?:  :?:
Boxes :?:  :?:
Why not put the jelly beans in the boxes and sell them :?:
Team Smart to the rescue.
Money to be made here kids..
Dave :lol:

enjenjo

Erick

Thanks again for the help. The van I found is the boxy one.

When I bought the car I really only got the body with the doors and rumble lid. I have a 46 Dodge 1/2 ton frame that I'm going to use. Has the same dimensions as the coupe and the wheelbase is about 2-3 inches longer. I'm using the original straight axle and parallel leaf springs from the pickup. Currently getting it setup to sit a little bit lower and also making it so the ride isn't so stiff.

GPster

Quote from: "Erick"Thanks again for the help. The van I found is the boxy one.  I have a 46 Dodge 1/2 ton frame that I'm going to use. Has the same dimensions as the coupe and the wheelbase is about 2-3 inches longer. I'm using the original straight axle and parallel leaf springs from the pickup. Currently getting it setup to sit a little bit lower and also making it so the ride isn't so stiff.
If the frame hardware is anything like the '48 Dodge truck I built it's got those silly one-sided, screw-in shackles and spring bushings that were used in the early Jeeps. Most "off-roader" suppliers try to get you away from that stuff but JC Whitney used to have them. If you wanted to hunt around those early jeeps used a short main leaf 1 3/4" wide on their front ends and you could build a set of springs and use the hangers that are already on the frame. I would say one of the biggest things that you might have to look at is  building some sort of "kick-up" on the rear of the frame for some rear axel travel. People here don't mind answering questions. If you let us in on the whole project you'd be overwhelmed with the ideas you'll get. GPster