4L80E tranny- drain plug

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 07, 2007, 08:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

In Mexico they do things differently to drain a trans before removal.

I've see this done many times.

In first photo is the machine screw in the hole that was drilled to drain the trans fluid.. I imagine it drains slow.

Second photo shows the pan and filter.  The screw holds the filter to the pan.

I thought this was interesting, but mayb only to a transmission fellow or mechanic.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Doesn't that tend to leak?

When I am scraping a car, thats how I drain everything, including the gas tank. Of course I just punch it with an awl, instead of drilling.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Doesn't that tend to leak?

When I am scraping a car, thats how I drain everything, including the gas tank. Of course I just punch it with an awl, instead of drilling.

Since the pans have a dent where the hole is... they must use the enjenjo method too.

leak?  they do not seem to worry bout that.
Tony

58 Yeoman

Sometimes you gotta do whats you gotta do!  Some people just don't like that atf splashing all over when there's no drain plug in the pan.  I've made a few messes myself (but I'd never do what he did).

Many years ago, when I would buy old VW's and fix 'em up, I had one that the brake line must've leaked inside (the line from the front to rear runs inside the car, along the left side of the tunnel), so the previous owner just spliced in a nice long piece of 1/4" air line.  Probably figured that the air line could handle some pressure from a compressor, so it should work good for a brake line.....right? :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Doesn't that tend to leak?
Since the pans have a dent where the hole is... they must use the enjenjo method too.
leak?  they do not seem to worry bout that.
The job was probably done by someone that thinks he's a millwRIGHT. He used the awl to center punch the hole for precise placement of the drill. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Sometimes you gotta do whats you gotta do!  Some people just don't like that atf splashing all over when there's no drain plug in the pan.  I've made a few messes myself (but I'd never do what he did).

Many years ago, when I would buy old VW's and fix 'em up, I had one that the brake line must've leaked inside (the line from the front to rear runs inside the car, along the left side of the tunnel), so the previous owner just spliced in a nice long piece of 1/4" air line.  Probably figured that the air line could handle some pressure from a compressor, so it should work good for a brake line.....right? :shock:

I bought a Rabbit pickup, it had spongy brakes. When I crawled under it to bleed them, it had fuel hose replacing both rear brake lines. It was to weak to burst, it would just swell up when you stepped on the brakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

oh..... some of the broken stuff we deal with from Mexico distributor of our products  is surprising.

We build a few OE stock trannys for the Mexico outlet per month.

:shock:
Tony