Cleaning mag wheels

Started by brti, June 26, 2007, 06:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brti

Does anyone know of a good way to really get old mags clean? I scored a set of used wheels that just won't come back to that clean aluminum look.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Flitz brand ....

what did you use so far??
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Have them polished.

I know, we're pretty much a DIY gang here, but a pro polisher can really bring back an old mag.

Many times a chrome shop will have a wheel polisher and they'll take on mags for not too much money.

That said, my pal bought one of those pink foam things that you spin up in a drill.
They look a little like a ball type honing tool.
I saw one at Walmart a short while back, price was around $20. for an admittedly cheap looking gizmo, but it looks like it's going to do the job.

He's been polishing an old pair of 8" x 15" slot mags on the rear of his 29 A roadster and they're starting to look good.
He's on the third go-around - and I haven't a clue how much time he spends each time . . . not much I suspect, he rushes through a lot of stuff.
Looks like one or two more times will get the wheels to a very high polish.

Some years back I cleaned up a set of slot mags with a buffing wheel attached to a 9" body grinder.
Used the regular polishing mediums - a stick of red rouge if I remember right, you can get a box of four different styles from Sears and they last a long time.

The mags were on an old piece of carpet on the floor and after a while the grinder got heavy.
Cured that by putting a couple pulleys in the rafters, tied a small diameter rope to the body grinders balance point and had a coffee can full of lead weights that balanced the grinders weight.
Made for an easy way to do it and the wheels came out very nice.

You can do a lot of things with the old slot mags.
Here's one example, a 32 Ford re-pro cap adapted to the wheel.
Most folks have to look twice to see just what wheel it is....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

EMSjunkie

try Wenol in the pink tube.

it works great on my S/S firewall  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "brti"Does anyone know of a good way to really get old mags clean? I scored a set of used wheels that just won't come back to that clean aluminum look.

Those old mags might be magnesium.
Go to the local welding supply store and pick up a quart of Arc-aid. It's an aluminum cleaner for welding. It'll work on magnesium because I've tried it.
Put some in a bowl, and brush it on with a paint brush. Swirl the brush around while applying. Coat it good, and rinse off with water. It'll take a lot of the tarnish off so the polishing is easier.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Harry

If your wheels are corroded, use fine sandpaper or even emery cloth.
Go with the grain. Then Autosol polish.
It's a dirty job......

UGLY OLDS

Sounds crazy...But..  Stop by a BIG truck stop in your area..You can buy alum polish called "Alumachrome"  in 1/2 qt. cans that does a great job...
It's used in the trucking industry for polishing BIG alum wheels & alum fuel tanks...The stuff is like a "thick" mothers polish...Works great.... :D
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Sounds crazy...But..  Stop by a BIG truck stop in your area..You can buy alum polish called "Alumachrome"  in 1/2 qt. cans that does a great job...
It's used in the trucking industry for polishing BIG alum wheels & alum fuel tanks...The stuff is like a "thick" mothers polish...Works great.... :D

Or the bike shop and get Bomb i think its called.
Dave :wink:

bucketmouth

If the rims have really gone off you are better off getting a polishing shop to bring the lustre back. The rims have probably oxidized on the surface and no matter how you try and do it at home you'll be forever trying to keep the shine on them.
Get them proffesionally polished and it will be easier to keep on top of it with an occasional polish by hand or as I've started to use one of those foam polishing balls. (don't know if I can mention the brand)
Don't repeatedly use the same rag over and over again because it will contain grit and other crap that will only continually scratch the rim.
If you want to do it yourself stay away from any sort of abrasive polish. It will only scratch the surface and invite more time consuming maintenance.
Definitely don't use any of those acidic cleaners to clean any alloy rim.

Hope that helps some.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

brti

Thanks for all the feed back. I got some of the trucker aluminum cleaner and they came up quite nice. I also got some other highly corrosive comercial cleaner and it even got them cleaner. (can't remember the name, I used it all and then threw the bottle out) I spent about $50 on cleaners and they did come up nicely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then I painted them. :oops: I printed up everyones solutions and passed them out to my buds  :lol:
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later