Re: 5-W Back Glass -- Deuce Gurus? What's Missin' Here?

Started by RottenRodney, June 25, 2007, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

model a vette

I found a picture on Wescott's site for your wood install.
I also found a picture of a 28-31 Pass Fordor regulator. It is a "four hole mount". The coupe and two doors appear to have used a three hole mount. Does your piece of wood, that mounts the regulator, have holes drilled to mount the regulator? I think your window may use the 3 hole mount.
I think the correct regulator has only one arm which contacts the bottom window channel in the middle.
Ed

RottenRodney

Thanks you guys, we'll get this sorted out one day.  I went to the Wescott site and found a pitcher of a three-windo with their power gizmo regulator installed.  The regulator in the last pitchers from model a vette looks a bunch like the one I'm playin' with.  I've got the four-hole version.  I'm thinkin' it should be mounted in a horizontal position now, and I've got a sneekin' suspision that maybe I got the opposite of what I ordered.  The number (on the Vintique box the regulator came in) checks out to be the one CW Moss recommends usin' for a back-glass regulator though.  I'm about to test my (left in the right box) theory and just order another one.  

The wood-kit I've got came without an important piece (the piece that locates the regulator) and they're NO HELP AT ALL.  They've moved, but I found them.  There's been a brief E-mail exchange, I faxed them the invoice which shows that I paid for the 'complete' kit, but I'm not gettin' anywhere.  I'm now gettin' the distinct impression that somebody has died -- so I'm not as * off as I was a few weeks ago.  I just wish they'd tell me what's up.  This is frustrating work.  I think I'll go back in the sand-pit and block out some fenders instead.  At least I'll know what I'm doing for a while.  

Thanks, I'll lettchyawl know how things work out.  RR

RottenRodney

Quote from: "jusjunk"The info I have is 28to 32 ford fordor right hand and 30 to 36 rear roll down..  Hows it mount ??? what if you turn it upside down :?:
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Jusjunk, your info turns out to be better than mine.  Wouldn't ya know it -- I found the typo in the CW Moss catalog.  

Gotta say though: I got a good guy on the other end of the phone.  Pete at CW Moss suspected a caltalog misprint, went and checked it out, called me back within' about five minutes and we made arraingments for a straight across swap.  I had mine the very next day.  I really can't complain, but I'll reserve the right to fell like a big dummy for fumblin' through the figgerin' process this long.  

Here's another hoot: The guy who made the 'complete' wood kit finally sent word through the channels that the missin' piece of wood (what the regulator bolts to) should actually be metal.  That's no surprise, I'm gittin' the feelin' that he just wants to be done with me.  How 'bout you guys?  Are you sick of this never-ending thread yet?  Well, here's some good news: I think I'm gittin' it figgered out.  Here's a shot of what we've got now:

My wife made an ol' piece of plywood fit the hole.  It was gunna just be a trial pattern, but I'm startiin' to think it might go the distance instead.  It seems as though the regulator likes it when it's mounted on an angle.  It works.  I'll pick up all the glass for this car on this Wednesday, and we'll take it further.  I never could figger out why Brookville's drain-tray/moisture-catcher has a flanged edge.  The handle bangs into it and it just doesn't seem to serve any purpose.  Just after the above pitcher was took, I folded it over flat.  We're gittin' somewhere...  

Hey, thanks for yer help, yous guys...  RR

Dave

im impressd and no were mot tied of you.. Just make it work! Ill check back tomorrow after my PLC programming class.. Im interested  more than ever now..
Dave :arrow:

model a vette

Originally I thought the piece of plywood your wife made should have spanned the upright pieces of wood and should sit on top of the lip on the pan.
My second guess is that the package shelf, behind the seat, rests on the lip.
What are the holes in the uprights for?
It has been about 20 years since I did a roll down rear window so my memory isn't that good!
Ed

47 ragtop

The correct handle for the winder is "T" shaped similar to the windshield crankout handle on a 33-34. It is only about 4" across and that is why you hit the flange with a regular window handle.

RottenRodney

Quote from: "47 ragtop"The correct handle for the winder is "T" shaped similar to the windshield crankout handle on a 33-34. It is only about 4" across and that is why you hit the flange with a regular window handle.

Oh...  Sheesh!  I knew that...  Eye've seen 'em that way.  I really don't know why I beat myself up like this at times.  It gets worse:

Model A Vette, I believe you are correct as well.  The flanged edge is probably where the package tray is intended to rest.  I had it in my branium that it should be up higher, but that woundn't leave much room to kick the seat back, would it?  I think you're right...  Look how I folded it over in my haste.   :roll: I think I better cut, drill and paint a small length of aluminum angle, just incase our upholsterer needs it for the package tray.  

Tell yawl what: I'm thinkin' of goin' back and re-namin' this thread.  How 'bout somethin' nice like: My daily screw-up?  Okay, how 'bout: Today's mistake?  Okay, how 'bout Goof Du Jour?  I'm open for suggestions.  Maybe this calls for a re-name the thread contest.  I gotta go think up a nice prize, but I'll get back to yawl.  'Till then, yawl can count on me -- every time I do something stupid, I'll POST IT HERE.  

RR

UGLY OLDS

RR ...Don't beat yourself up...I think it's neat that you're taking the time to build this into your coupe... :D  Most people jus' glue in a piece of glass & call it a "winder".. :shock:  :shock:  And I also think you did a EXCELLENT job of straighting that precision bent piece of sheet metal... :oops:  :oops:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****