Light truck tires

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 23, 2007, 11:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

today i bought some Michelin tires for my 06 Silverado.  3rd set of tires since new with 10,330 miles on the truck

I took off some Toyo tires with about 7k miles on them... the Toyo tires would run smooth one day , then the next day they were not round.

So I have a set (4) of toyo tires 285-60x17 for sale now... I'd put them on craigs list in PHX , but there appears to be a high amount of strokes - tire kickers-wannabees-SMFs on craigs list.

I've had my fresh 383 cid chevy motor on craigs list twice... one guy came out , we shook hands on the deal , never seen him since. No response to email or phone calls.  Other guys send email , say they will call ...... nothing.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

C9

Yeah, what is it with guys who can't just say "No Thanks."

Anyhoo, fwiw, the original BF Goodrich tires that came with my 2002 F150 SuperCrew went 54,000 miles and would have went 60,000 'cept I thought it would be a good idea to replace them since the rainy season was almost here a few months back.

Maybe I shoulda washed the truck and then it would have rained.
So far, no rain and all the new tires have seen is dust.

Replaced the originals with BF Goodrich, I've had good luck with them and have run them on all my cars for a long while.
Funny thing was, the factory size in BFG was hard to find and one tire shop wanted $850. or so for a set.
Got a set of BFG's one size up, same tire as the original (Long Trail) for a little over $500.
Funny thing was, they were the size for the Expedition and along with being 1" larger in diameter they had a heavier load rating....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Uncle Bob

Hmmm, a pattern developes.
When I bought my Ram the first thing done was a Ram Slam, 4 in the front, 6 in the rear (about twice the work the GMC before it took).  I had to drop down a tire size because the originals hit the front fender liners.  Ended up selling the take-offs on ebay of all places.

As for Craigs list, you're right about the type of callers, very much like newspaper classified folk, only cheaper since the ads are free.  One way of managing the "flakes" who, as Jay noted, seem incapable of saying, "Gee, I guess I'm really not interested" is to put the action on them.  They'll usually start out with "Tell me everything about the _______ you've got for sale".  I say "Why don't you ask me what's important to you since I put what I think is important in the ad".  That leads to a couple questions, and then the ask for directions thing.  At that point the burden shifts to them.  I ask "Oh, you're coming over right away?".  Often the answer is "Uh, well, uh, .....no, probably later" or something weak like that.  I say, "Great, then call when you're ready and I'll give you directions that will be fresh in your mind".  The very few that are serious won't mind, and the vast majority who never call again don't waste so much of my time............and in these days, they don't end up knowing where I live.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

C9....... we had the 2001 Super Crew Ford.  At 58k miles on the BFG tires I installed Michelin tires from Costco.  Great ride and quiet.  We had one new Michelin  tire "stabbed .. it  looked like a knife plunge cut" about 8 days later. 4 other people in my wife's parking garage had flats too!?   A New replacement tire cost me $1.07 from Costco with road hazard

When I first talked to the Costco rep saturday morning He asked what I was looking for . I told him 2 things I wanted : "quiet and smooth"..

The Toyo tires had a slight howl to them. The tread pattern is what does that I am sure.

Re:  Craigs List ........ I am done with that crap for now.  The ONLY items I will put on Craigs lists is something I do not want to deal with (something that needs to "go away").. that would be placed under the "free" heading

I put some (about 150) of those 1 foot long inter-linking concrete lawn edge pavers on Craig's list. We had the press formed continuous concrete curbing installed.  I put these pavers up on Craigs list and had 8 emails in 15 minutes asking for a phone number.

If it is 'cheap' Craig's list will work I guess..... (rant over)

Uncle Bob; good ideas on the phone discussions.......on the 383 motor  ad I placed the words "no trades.... bring cash".

I was still offered trades for quads and guns from different folks.  

The fellow with the quads was a real PITA..  I finally told him IF the quads are worth SO much more money than my 383 chevy motor... sell them and bring me cash!

ok , rant is really over... lol

8)
Tony

brti

Funny, I bought a set of michelins from costco and to say the wear was most disapointing is an understatement, the ride was great but they're nearly done with only about 10,000mi on them. Had a freind tell me that if you get a new set of tires the thing to do is to run them and get them good and hot then let them cool down. He says it chemically "sets" the rubber and you can help determine the wear characteristics of the tire.
                   Any of you ever heard of this before? I guess it's an old stock car racers trick.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

never heard of temp setting a tire.

the Michelins on my Ford and previous Silverado trucks did not wear fast at all.  I had 32k miles on the michelins when I sold the Silverado and they looked nearly new.

these new Michelins have a 65k mileage warranty on them... LOL , I will believe that when I see it

although with the weather here in metro Phoenix AZ, mayb all the tires take a set with high temps??

8)

Quote from: "brti"Funny, I bought a set of michelins from costco and to say the wear was most disapointing is an understatement, the ride was great but they're nearly done with only about 10,000mi on them. Had a freind tell me that if you get a new set of tires the thing to do is to run them and get them good and hot then let them cool down. He says it chemically "sets" the rubber and you can help determine the wear characteristics of the tire.
                   Any of you ever heard of this before? I guess it's an old stock car racers trick.
Tony

Woody2B

I bought a '95 ranger ext cab used with 36K on it.  The dealer said it had the upgraded Michellin tire rated at 80K.  I'd never heard of any tire rated at that before and thought he was blowing smoke.  I rotated them regularly and took them off at 93K!!!  They would have gone another summer but were actually starting to dry rot more than tread wear.  I replaced them with Michellins and sold the truck with 56K and the tread still looked like half left.  I'm sold.

junkyardjeff

I got 154,000 out of a set of Goodyear wranglers,they still had about 3/8 tread but the side walls were getting weak and leaking.  Jeff