Fuel Pump - I think I got it

Started by msuguydon, June 21, 2007, 09:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

First, Thanks to all of you (with the exception of Dave  :lol: ) that were trying to walk me through this last night in the chat room.  I was able to find a picture on the web this morning, and it helped my understand what you guys were talking about, I guess I am a visual learner.

So the Rod you guys were talking about goes into the block and pushes the lever thingy with the spring gizmo (pictured above) on the fuel pump which makes it work... gas goes in, gas goes out!  YEA!

So this is the last piece of puzzle I need help with...

When I remove the old fuel pump,  the rod may or may not fall out.  

Frank told me to hold the rod in place with a longer bolt then remove the bolt, I am not sure why I would do that?  Seems like I would pull the old pump off, jamb the new one on, make sure the rod is in there, reconnect everything and away I go?  Seems to easy.

I am sure I am missing something regarding the alinement of this rod, or it will fall into the block and oil pan and I will have to remove the engine to fish it out...  that is my normal luck  :roll:
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

slocrow

Don, Remember the pump is attached on the block side and the bolt he's referring to loads from the front and goes into that push rod channel, holding the rod up while you secure the pump back to the block.
We use to just slap a dop of axle grease on the top of the rod in hopes that it would hold the rod up while we att the pump.
It will also help to make sure the lobe is on the low side while attempting this replacement.
Just insert the rod and hold it in place with your finger. Click the engine over until you feel the rod move and continue until it's as deep as it can go. Then you'll know the lobe is positioned best...............Frank
PS: Don't forget to remove the long holding bolt and reinsert the shorter one, if you use the front bolt hold method.
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Don, Remember the pump is attached on the block side and the bolt he's referring to loads from the front and goes into that push rod channel, holding the rod up while you secure the pump back to the block.
We use to just slap a dop of axle grease on the top of the rod in hopes that it would hold the rod up while we att the pump.
It will also help to make sure the lobe is on the low side while attempting this replacement.
Just insert the rod and hold it in place with your finger. Click the engine over until you feel the rod move and continue until it's as deep as it can go. Then you'll know the lobe is positioned best...............Frank
PS: Don't forget to remove the long holding bolt and reinsert the shorter one, if you use the front bolt hold method.

I can do it without the bolt but im talented :lol:  :lol:  I kinda miss undertook your description last night Don.. Im glad the so called experts got you straightened out. I remember watching my neighbor try to put a fuel pump on an impala years ago and he messed around for 4 days and
then they came over and got me :shock: Ha Ha I told em tpo bump the engine over and we got the rod up as high as it would go and i just held the rod with my finger and quickly slapped the pump in place while removing finger.. 20 minutes later it was running and i was drinking his beer :D  :D Oh ya I do know about the bolt hole to hold the rod ive just never used it..
Dave

ps: the bolt wont fall out anywhere. there is a plate between the pump and the block that prevents this.. You will see.

GPster

Between the fuel pump and the block is a thin metal plate that is held in place by the 2 fuel pump mounting bolts and 2 more. As long as you only remove the 2 fuel pump mounting bolts the plate will stay in place and keep the pushrod from falling clear out. But the arm on the fuel pump is made to fit between the rod and the back side of that plate (with room for that arm to actuate) and if the pushrod slides down and rests against the back of that plate when you remove the old fuel pump, it is hard to get the new fuel pump arm between therod and the back of the plate. The bolt that they are talking about replacing with a longer bolt is on the front of the block, on the same side of the front of the block as the fuel pump, beside the camshaft chain cover and down low. The bolt may look funny because it isn't holding anything but it is actually there to act as a plug to keep oil from pouring out the front  of the block. The threads are threaded clear-in but the bolt only is long enough to act as a plug. If you remove that bolt and screw a longer bolt (3/8" course thread?) into that hole until it hits something, that something will be the side of the fuel pump pushrod. The new bolt doesn't have to be "Wrenched On" and it does need to be removed after the fuel pump is changed and before you try to start the motor. Put the original bolt back in place. I have problems at CHAT sometimes. I don't read as fast as some people can type and it gets bad when there is more than one person typing. You can print this reply and read it at your leasure. GPster

msuguydon

I get it... between GPsters post and a phone conversation with my car buddy, I get it... tonight I need to climb under there and find the front block bolt... once I do that I think I will feel pretty confident.

Thanks guys!
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

GPster

Quote from: "msuguydon"I get it... between GPsters post and a phone conversation with my car buddy, I get it...
GOOD! Sometime I re-read my messages and wonder if I know what I'm talking about. I'm in mourning. One of my childhood heros died last week. Mr. Wizzard My other hero nobody recognizes, Betty Boop's uncle. The one with the graduation cap with the lightbulb on it. His light would flash when he had an idea. I've been only "Half Lit" for a while. GPster

slocrow

Mr Wizzard died??????? Oh, that is a shame. I use to love those general science problems and examples he offered weekly. I believe it was GE that sponsored that show.................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

brti

msuguydon,   ignore all that good sound advise,,,,, do what I did,,,,,,, just undo the fuel pump and fight with it for hours leaning over the fender with the blood running to your brain and nearly pass ing out before you finally get the pump back on. When you finally finish and get to stand back up you get light headed and have to sit down... now for the important part,,,, have a nice cool beer and feel good knowing that you have succesfully changed you fuel pump but NEVER tell anyone exactly how you did it.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "brti"msuguydon,   ignore all that good sound advise,,,,, do what I did,,,,,,, just undo the fuel pump and fight with it for hours leaning over the fender with the blood running to your brain and nearly pass ing out before you finally get the pump back on. When you finally finish and get to stand back up you get light headed and have to sit down... now for the important part,,,, have a nice cool beer and feel good knowing that you have succesfully changed you fuel pump but NEVER tell anyone exactly how you did it.

mayb that blood to the brain thing is dave's trouble??  

Wait , what the H am I saying?

8)

:arrow:   :wink:  :wink:   :!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)