Buried 57 Plymouth...mystery about to be answered

Started by jaybee, June 13, 2007, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Unveiling is Friday, but I'd say from the standing water they're pumping out here http://www.tulsachevys.com/Images/buriedcar/index.html it's probably pretty well shot.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Motoraver

I think it would be a wonder if the car won't break into pieces, when they try to pull it out of its grave.

58 Yeoman

Sometime back in the 80's, I bought a whole bunch of VW parts, tools, and a few cars from the widow of a man who'd worked on Vdubs for years.  One of the cars sitting in the backyard was an old Beetle convertible.  I cut the weeds down in front of it and hooked on the tow bar and started pulling.  The front half came with me, while the back half stayed put.  I'm thinking this car will be the same, only top and bottom will separate.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Motoraver

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Sometime back in the 80's, I bought a whole bunch of VW parts, tools, and a few cars from the widow of a man who'd worked on Vdubs for years.  One of the cars sitting in the backyard was an old Beetle convertible.  I cut the weeds down in front of it and hooked on the tow bar and started pulling.  The front half came with me, while the back half stayed put.  I'm thinking this car will be the same, only top and bottom will separate.

that's what I tried to say man  :wink:  I have a lot of pictures with rotten cars like the one you described...so if you want to see them, then we could start a little scrapyard thread...the most photos are from europe.

Motoraver

here is an example from a scrapyard in northern germany...photos were taken in the late eighties early nineties!!

UGLY OLDS

In photo # 79 you can see the mud & standing water on top of the car....I don't think this looks very promising..... :(  :(    Uh-oh...Better get Maaco  :lol:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Motoraver"here is an example from a scrapyard in northern germany...photos were taken in the late eighties early nineties!!

They look like typical 3 or 4 year old "Midwestern Cars"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I traded in my '83 Merc Capri when the floor split from the drivers side rocker panel almost to the trans tunnel.. :shock: ..Right behind the drivers seat..... :-o
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Motoraver

I know what you mean..have a lot of pictures with cars in that condition or worse....most are worse.  :wink:
but this Peugeot is the worst  :wink:  ...

but you can also find some solid rare cars in Europe..

I found the most photos by searching the internet for weeks! I have around 3500... the photos from the yard in northern germany were taken by a friend of mine.

Sean

That's a shame. I was hoping the thing would come out looking like it did when it went in. Looks like they should have left some drains in the bottom of their vault. I doubt that water came from the water table, Surely they checked that before they buried it. Its probably precipitation that leaked in over the last 20 or 30 years.

I'll bet I could make one last for 50 years. Big stainless steel box, TIG welded shut... :)

Crosley.In.AZ

I am thinking the car is junk...

I can see the ad on ebay: "  ran great when parked!"
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Motoraver

Quote from: "Crosley"I am thinking the car is junk...

I can see the ad on ebay: "  ran great when parked!"

:lol:

EMSjunkie

I love the old Ambulance 8)

that thing needs a blown big block :-o

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

the 57 Plymouth sure is a mess , inside and out.

I watched a TV video feed on the unwrapping.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

brti

Don't lnow what all the hubbub is about ,,,,,,, those old dodges did that right in the car port.....................sorry dodge fans,,,,,,,, like the motors though.
what\'s that noise,,,,,, never mind I\'ll check it later

CQQL33

Does anybody have any picture they can post ?   We would love to see what it looked like with the wrap taken off.   A picture speaks a thousand words.................if you got em, let's see em....    Thanks.