What is the name of this Cord stuff? Where do I buy more?

Started by msuguydon, June 05, 2007, 02:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

This is an internal trim piece for the Tuna Boat, I have others that are in better shape.  It attachs to the lower half of the dash between the door and side of the dash.  This trim piece holds the kick panel in place and has this cord material, weather strip attached to it.

What is this cord stuff called?  Where can I get some?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Bob C

It's called windlace. Harmon Chev. has it.
800-851-2433
Bob

msuguydon

Quote from: "Bob C"It's called windlace. Harmon Chev. has it.
800-851-2433
Bob

Thanks - Found it.... Next question...

Windlace is sold by the yard, if I cut the windlace won't it be unfinished or unravel?

sirstude

No it won't come unraveled.  It is called windlace, but it is not laced.  When you see a new piece it will make sense.  It ususally runs around the entire door opening, not just near the dash.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Dave

Doesnt it come uncovered? If it does your gonna hate me cause i bought some for the coupe to try and quiet the wond noise and i didnt like the way it  worked on a piece so i think i tossed the rest of it.  :oops:  My arm is killing me tonite so im not going out to look.
Dave :wink:

Bob C

It comes in a few limited colors or you can get it uncovered and use your own material.

BFS57

Hello;
I have seen vendors at larger (Turkey Rod Run) car shows that sell it by the yard in as many colors as you can imagine. In your case that would be red or white, right?
Some of the companies like Danchuck sell it model specific cut and finished to length. Also try rodinteriours.com for some.

Bruce

UGLY OLDS

Don...Are you doing the sewing yourself??? If so, and you have enough material,  trot down to the local H-D or lowes & look for 3/8" or 1/2"  " foam backer rod" in the caulk dept....It comes in 25' or 50' rolls & is kind of a medium density foam...Cut a strip of material about 8" longer than the foam rod..Wrap the rod with the material...sew like crazy...( the extra material becomes a "flap" on both ends to go under your sill plates at the floor to help hold it in place )....Are you going to Indy??? If so, we can show you an example of how to do some interior stuff....... :)  :)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

You might be opening a can of worms if you have a sedan,most sedans do not have trim around the doors and the windlace goes on before the headliner.  The windlace goes on then the metal with the barbs to hold the headliner goes on next and its hard to get the headliner back out without damaging it,if you have a hardtop it should be no problem as the windlace does not go all the way around the doors.  Jeff

msuguydon

Junkyardjeff -

You hit the nail on the head.  

I sent off a dozen of so, small interior pieces to the painter Monday.  These are the metal covers for the A and B Pillars, under the steering column cover etc, etc

Two of the pieces getting painted are the windlace retainers that hold the kick-panels in place.  

When I started this thread I was thinking I could buy a couple of pieces of windlace to finish off the kick-panel retainers, then it dawned on me... Windlace is used all around the doors and back windows etc...

SO I will wait on windlace till I get my interior project started.  

THanks for all the help folks.