Mini nats at Springfield

Started by t-vicky, May 29, 2007, 08:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-vicky

Just got home from the mini nats at Springfield.  Great show. Lots of really neat cars. Got to meet  40chevy  and talk for a while. Took about 300 pics & sent them to the carnut for his site.  
Drove the 40 Olds more dr. to try to sell. Didnt try real hard & didnt sell it.  Ran good the whole 800 mi. but that nasty cam is coming out.  Had a real good time.
Wife told me it looked like an ole fart meeting. Everyone looked over 50.

phat rat

I was there also, never did find 40Chev. Although WZjunk said he had stopped by
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

couper

Ran into a few people we knew, wzjunk included.
Sat. night around the host hotel was dead due to weather. Sunday dried out. Met some great new friends too. 2160 registered. Alot more ratrods than last year. Some were pretty clever. Saw aircraft seats in a nice 32 coupe. Another sported a cherry bomb muffler for an air cleaner.
Met a guy from Little Rock who just finished a 34 ford 4door sedan he bought from a lady who had it stored since WWII. Lots of fun the whole weekend.
I was glad to see the gas costs didn't keep people away.
Lance

Okiedokie

I thought the 34 was the closest to what I saw in the 60's, except it would not have had the SBF. Flathead most likely, maybe nailhead Buick. Neat car. phat rat was all over the place and I could never catch him by his car. Enjoyed looking at a "real" street rod though.

Okiedokie

Couper failed to mention that he was not in the grandstands during award ceremonies, he was part of the award ceremony having recieved a pick. Well deserved. Nice guy and nice street rod. Wish I had a picture to show, but I left my camera in the car. Here is a picture of phat rats real deal.

phat rat

Sorry we didn't meet up. Yes I do get around when I'm at the shows. A detriment sometimes in that people can't find me. But where you took the pic was at the Hamb meet n greet and I was right there until the car left. I would've been the old guy wearing the black western style hat. That's hauler BenD's truck the guy in red is looking at.  Thanks for the compliment on the car.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

couper

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Couper failed to mention that he was not in the grandstands during award ceremonies, he was part of the award ceremony having recieved a pick. Well deserved. Nice guy and nice street rod. Wish I had a picture to show, but I left my camera in the car. Here is a picture of phat rats real deal.
Thanks for the kind words Joe. Feeling's mutual. It was good meeting you guys again, see you in September if not before.
Lance

Okiedokie

Wife told me it looked like an ole fart meeting. Everyone looked over 50.

What da ya mean "looked like"? It was an ole fart meeting, we just let you kids visit to see what it's going to be like. FUN, FUN, FUN.

kb426

Is there something wrong with the graying of the hotrod crowd at the Goodguys/ NSRA shows? I realize that the younger guys don't have the resources to build the same kind of cars but is there anything wrong with accumulating some money in life and then spending it on what you want? When I was young, there wasn't any car shows. Now that there are many in most parts of the country, you see a wide variety of cars. Should anyone be offended by this? I know this is an on going discussion but is there any merit to either viewpoint?
TEAM SMART

t-vicky

Nothing wrong with being an ole fart. I are one.   Its the wife who worrys about the old stuff. She makes me buy the movie tickets because she cant make herself say the word SENIOR.

Carnut

Guess I was lucky, my first car was a hot rod and I've been a hot rodder all my life.

I've been attending car shows all my life, one of the few places I'm most comfortable with the crowd.

When I attend the Nats events it's kinda like going to a high school reunion.

Yes many of the gray beards have made their fortunes and show it off with their rides, but some, like me, still have their old rides that many at the shows consider 'old style' or 'original'. which I get a chuckle out of because
I've always considered my rides as 'contemperary'.

Sure glad I've got enough posts now to get that 'Craftsman' moniker off my avatar, I've never been known to be a craftsman.

UGLY OLDS

Call it Ole' Fart's..Call it Graybeard's..Call it what ever you want...You young guy's have no idea what it's like to be 18 & trapped in a body like this :!:  :!:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :lol:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

alchevy

Was a busy week at work after being gone to the Springfield event. Had a good time at the event. The weather actually turned out better than expected even if it did rain some of the time. Had a nice breeze most of the time. Of course on Friday, the sun would come out and there would be no breeze, then it would get cloudy & very breezey, then (a few minutes later) it would rain a little. Then it would start all over again.

My youngest nephew was with me and he enjoyed his first real car show. Funny thing about taking kids to car shows: I took my niece to the Bunny Run and she liked the early model Camaros and Chevelles. I took my oldest nephew to a small car show and he decided he liked those cars also. So when I was planning on taking my youngest nephew to an all street rod show, I was going to bring him in right. He went right to the Camaros and Chevelles in the swap meet...until...... he saw his first '41 Willys (big wide tires on the back and a big motor hanging out of the hood) and he was hooked! Those two in the awards program were his favorites.

Had a nice drive home until Lake Village, Arkansas. A female cop pulled me over for running a yellow light. $130 Ticket. We had three street rods and mine was in the middle. The first one went through on green and it turned to yellow as his tag went under. The speed limit was 45 and normally red lights are set so that at that speed you can either safely stop or proceed with caution if you cannot safely stop your vehicle. In Mississippi, that's the rule in the driver's ed book. So I went through it on yellow. The guy behind me said that it was so yellow when I went through it that he started to go through also, but stopped. Then he told me that nobody was at the light on the other two sides and this car came out from nowhere and went through the intersection with no blue lights flashing and turned them on way on down the road and pulled me over. She told me that it was the only red light in the entire county. So that has me believing that she was controlling the light just to make out tickets. It was a trap.

There, I got that out, now you may continue on having fun in an old car.

But one more thing: She harrased me for driving a "modified" vehicle. It's a street rod and in most places, it's legal to drive street rods on city streets! The NSRA (National Street Rod Association) promotes safety. And that's what we did when we "modified" this 1940 Chevy, we made it safer than what it was originally.

AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com