Wiring problem

Started by phat46, May 28, 2007, 02:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

87A double pole maybe?? one normally open and one normally closed contact? I dont have a relay schematic here handy Vance but i do know that automotive are numbered different than industrial although they all work the same. I got to sell the car tomorrow so if you dont get an answer maybe thursday i can get the info you need.
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but does anybody have a wiring diagram for a relay?

I need to wire a realy into the secondary fan for the  Mrs. S-10.
I have a relay,, just can't remember which numbered post does what :?

any help will be appreciated

Vance
Vance, the relay i have has a diagram printed on the side of it, but as you see it didn't help me much..... :oops:

Mine too :shock:
I guess I don't unnerstand Chinese pictures :oops:
Vance

I was looking at a small 4 wire socket for a halogen bulb in Auto Zone not 2 hours ago. Right on the package it said "Made in Mexico with USA parts. The diagram on the back was in spanish, but I could tell from the drawing that it was backwards. I held the back of the package up to a mirror and it was correct. It sounds stupid but it's worth a try. I've seen worse...
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Rayvyn

***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Here's your diagrams bro'. Good Luck... );b(

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Thanks Bry, that helps a bunch. :)

now I'm not so worried about turnin' the key 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Try it this way. put power on the 30 terminal for the fan, out 87 to the fan. Control power to 85, 86 to the switch, and then to ground. That should solve your problem.

Lemme get this right, before I apply power :-o

Terminal # 30 = input from fan controller
Terminal # 87 = output power to fan
Terminal # 85 = 12V power in from ign. switch
Terminal # 86 = chassis ground

What does #87a do?

I wanna make sure before I turn the key, and the smoke comes outta my new Spal PWM fan control unit. :(

I'm not sure how much it would cost to have new smoke put back in it, but I bet it ain't cheap :shock:

Vance

What you are going to want is

30 12 volts constant from the battery, protect this with a circuit braker.
87 To the fan
85 12 volts switched from the ignition switch, protect this with a fuse.
86 ground. If you run it directly to ground, the fan will run whenever the ignition is on. You can run it through a fan controller to ground where it will only run after the engine gets up to temperature. You can also run it to a manual switch to ground, so you can over ride the controller.

87a is a normally closed terminal. you can use it to power something with the relay off. For example, you can use it to power an antenna so it retracts when the power is turned off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Thanks Frank. :D

I appreciate the info.

guess I better go re-wire :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat46

Frank, it worked like a charm. Thanks. Now i have to look at the diagram on the relay and figure out what the symbols mean now that i have it right so next time i will be able to do it myself. It's funny, i put a relay in my  '40 pickup last year and it works fine, guess I got lucky :lol: