Late model hood latch in '48 Chevy?

Started by 48builder, May 23, 2007, 12:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I bolted my hood back on the car for the first time in 10 years!

That's the good news. The bad news is that the stock hood latch is broke.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a late model hood latch that would work, or should I just find a replacement for the stocker.

I was going to try making the hood open forward, but may give up on that and just leave well enough alone.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Charlie Chops 1940

What part is broken Walt? The safety hook or the actual latch pin with the spring behind it or the receiver part behind the grille?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

48builder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"What part is broken Walt? The safety hook or the actual latch pin with the spring behind it or the receiver part behind the grille?

Charlie

I haven't located all of the parts yet, but I do know that the safety hook is broke. I think the latch pin and spring are OK. I'll try to find the receiver tonight.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Chebby

Quote from: "48builder"I bolted my hood back on the car for the first time in 10 years!

That's the good news. The bad news is that the stock hood latch is broke.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a late model hood latch that would work, or should I just find a replacement for the stocker.

I was going to try making the hood open forward, but may give up on that and just leave well enough alone.

Thanks,

Walt

I was looking at an AutoLoc latch on the web. It's a brand new product so I don't know about availablility but I know I'll be buying one for my truck.

Here's the link... http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=BCTR

Chebby

enjenjo

VW Rabbit or Golf. Small, and cable operated.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

[quote="Chebby
I was looking at an AutoLoc latch on the web. It's a brand new product so I don't know about availablility but I know I'll be buying one for my truck.

Here's the link... [url="http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=BCTR"]http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=BCTR[/url]

Chebby[/quote]

Looks interesting. Did you notice the price? MSRP $25.95, but you can get it for only $35!
'39 Chevy driver

Charlie Chops 1940

Those must be in short supply - everyone wants one - let's raise the price.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

If that is not a VW latch, it was made by the same company.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"If that is not a VW latch, it was made by the same company.

I just called my favorite salvage yard and they have a 2000 Golf. I am going to check it out on the way home. Thanks for the info, Frank.
'39 Chevy driver

sirstude

If they don't have one of those, check out Subaru hood latches, nice and compact.  I used on on my Studebaker.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us