Radiator advice

Started by jerryshvac, May 22, 2007, 09:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryshvac

I am replacing my flathead with a chevy 350 motor in my 1950 Ford , what radiator do I need. Thanks

t-vicky

let you know tomorrow when I get the 51 back from the muffler shop.  Its a 350 with the 6-cyl radiator.  Need to set the timing, adjust the carb ect.  It will be running long enough to see how good the radiator is.

jerryshvac

Quote from: "t-vicky"let you know tomorrow when I get the 51 back from the muffler shop.  Its a 350 with the 6-cyl radiator.  Need to set the timing, adjust the carb ect.  It will be running long enough to see how good the radiator is.

Carnut

Here's the project T-Vicky is working on:

Here's the left over parts:

Sure do wish it was mine, it's a beautiful 51 Sedan with great interior.

donsrods

Left over parts look like a good start on a low buck modified or sumthin.  That engine looks like it runs pretty well.

And you could always brag that you have a flathead (minus 2)  :D

Don

enjenjo

I have done a couple using the stock six cylinder radiator, and had no cooling problems. That is, if the stock radiator is in good shape.

I have also used a Dodge van radiator from the early 80's, again I think it is a six cyl. application, the outlets are right, and with the drilling of some holes in the radiator braces, it wll bolt in to a 49 to 51 Ford
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jerryshvac

Quote from: "donsrods"Left over parts look like a good start on a low buck modified or sumthin.  That engine looks like it runs pretty well.

And you could always brag that you have a flathead (minus 2)  :D

Don
Very sharp, thanks for info, here is my project.Apparently my pixels are to high and wide as soon as I figure how to down load I will send pics, thanks.

t-vicky

Well, we got it home with all new exhaust.  Fired it up & no oil pressure.  Pulled the dist & turned the oil pump with a long screwdriver & you can see the oil coming up in the plastic line to the gauge.  Tryed a different dist & same story. No pressure.  Is there different lenght rods for the oil pump?
May have to play with it next week. Have to pack up & get ready to go to Springfield with the 40 Olds in the morning.
Maybe someday I will learn to post pics myself.   Roger

t-vicky

Forgot to mention that all those spare parts are already gone.  This was the little ole man car that has only 18K on it.

t-vicky

OK this is kinda embarasing.  It was pumping oil pressure. All over that black hole of an interior.  The plastic line poped out of the gauge, hooked on the carpet.  At lest its a black carpet & new clean oil. Makes it easy to clean up. The radiator I think will be OK.  Drove it about 5 - 6 miles & it sat on 200 got up to 210 sitting in the drive.  Needs a new cap (4lbs) maybe space the fan a little closer.  Costumer is real happy with it.

kb426

Not embarrassing, just part of the stuff that happens if you do things in life besides sitting on the couch watching tv.
TEAM SMART

jerryshvac

Quote from: "t-vicky"OK this is kinda embarasing.  It was pumping oil pressure. All over that black hole of an interior.  The plastic line poped out of the gauge, hooked on the carpet.  At lest its a black carpet & new clean oil. Makes it easy to clean up. The radiator I think will be OK.  Drove it about 5 - 6 miles & it sat on 200 got up to 210 sitting in the drive.  Needs a new cap (4lbs) maybe space the fan a little closer.  Costumer is real happy with it.
Great job with car I have an hvac business stuff like that happens all the time (change fuel pump when out of oil) what year was the radiator and from what car and engine? Thanks

Carnut

Quote from: "jerryshvac"
Quote from: "t-vicky"OK this is kinda embarasing.  It was pumping oil pressure. All over that black hole of an interior.  The plastic line poped out of the gauge, hooked on the carpet.  At lest its a black carpet & new clean oil. Makes it easy to clean up. The radiator I think will be OK.  Drove it about 5 - 6 miles & it sat on 200 got up to 210 sitting in the drive.  Needs a new cap (4lbs) maybe space the fan a little closer.  Costumer is real happy with it.
Great job with car I have an hvac business stuff like that happens all the time (change fuel pump when out of oil) what year was the radiator and from what car and engine? Thanks

The car T-Vicky is talking about is the Yellow 51 Ford pictured above.

The radiator in use is the original 51 Ford 6cyl radiatior.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "kb426"Not embarrassing, just part of the stuff that happens if you do things in life besides sitting on the couch watching tv.

Amen  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****