coupe update

Started by DRD57, May 16, 2007, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I haven't driven my coupe in the last couple of months because it was making death noises from the bottom of the engine the last time I started it in the garage and I feared it had spun a bearing. Things being what they are on the family front, I haven't been able to get out in the shop to tear into it to see how bad the problem really was.

Yesterday, after work I got some time to look at it. First I popped the valve covers off to see if there was anything awry there. I didn't really expect to find much but they're easier to R&R that the oil pan so I started there. Everything looked hunky dory. Next I put it up on jackstands so I could remove the oil pan. When I crawled under the car I found the source of the noise.

One of my dog's toys, a thick rubber ball about the size of a bowling ball, was stuck to the right exhaust pipe and jammed under the flex plate/torque convertor. The noise was the flex plate sawing the ball in half and the convertor rubbing on the side of the ball.

So, the good news is the engine is OK. The bad news....

When I thought it was terminal I was already scheming to build it faster. Speed-O-Motive has a 383 bottom end kit for a small journal 327, and a little more cam would be in order for the additional cubes, and... this is starting to sould like that hose fixer story I wrote several years ago.

That's not going to happen. I need to make some more progress on the Cadillac.

Dave

Well at least your Honest.. Ya the coupe will be fine work on the caddy.. How is life anyway? I hope its still going good. I got good news yesterday from the heart doc. He is happy and just wants to make sure i live a long and trouble free life.. I like that....
Dave :wink:

kb426

If you live long enough, you have lots of stories if you do stuff. The guy that sits on the couch can listen to the rest of us and say"you guys are nuts. Why did you do that?' Did you kick the dog for leaving his toy where you could run over it?
TEAM SMART

Bib_Overalls

What gives with big inch motors these days?  Gas jumps to over $3 a gallon and everyone goes for more cubes.

At the shop where I hang out we recently put a 454 in a 46 Ford pickup, a 502 in a 63 Corvette, a 502 in a 46 Hudson pickup, a 502 in a 58 Chevy Impala, and a 572 in a 70 El Camino.

And Don is talking about taking his 327 out to 383.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

DRD57

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"What gives with big inch motors these days?  Gas jumps to over $3 a gallon and everyone goes for more cubes.

At the shop where I hang out we recently put a 454 in a 46 Ford pickup, a 502 in a 63 Corvette, a 502 in a 46 Hudson pickup, a 502 in a 58 Chevy Impala, and a 572 in a 70 El Camino.

I'm a hot rodder. If it breaks, I gotta build it faster. That's the rule.

DRD57

Quote from: "jusjunk"How is life anyway? I hope its still going good. I got good news yesterday from the heart doc. He is happy and just wants to make sure i live a long and trouble free life.. I like that....
Dave :wink:

Good news on the heart doc report. I'm glad you gave up the ciggies before it was too late.

My mother in law wasn't so fortunate. She smoked for 50+ years and after a miserable year with lung cancer she gasped her last breath this past Thursday. The family is going through the grieving process pretty well.

Not so good for my father in law either. He's fighting his own cancer which has now spread to his bones. He was a smoker too.  

Times are kinda tough but we're pulling together to get through.

tomslik

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"What gives with big inch motors these days?  Gas jumps to over $3 a gallon and everyone goes for more cubes.

haven't you heard?
inches are EVERYTHING!!!!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Okiedokie

One thing about it Don, as hard as your past year or so has been, your next good year has to be just around the corner. Glad to hear you can at least get in the coupe and grab a grin when you can. Best wishes to you and your family. Joe

river1

Quote from: "DRD57"The family is going through the grieving process pretty well.

Not so good for my father in law either. He's fighting his own cancer which has now spread to his bones. He was a smoker too.  

Times are kinda tough but we're pulling together to get through.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
don,
pass my sympathies on to cindy and the rest of the family.
later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

hotrodbob

Sorry to learn of the family illnesses. I hope you and Cindy get though this well.

If there is anything you guys need, just call.

How is your dog taking the loss of his favorite ball?
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

DRD57

Quote from: "hotrodbob"How is your dog taking the loss of his favorite ball?

It's not lost, it's just not quite as round as it used to be.  :lol:

Grandadeo

Hey Don, See ya in a few weeks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Carps

Hey dude!  Answer the phone.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

hotrodbob

Quote from: "Carps"Hey dude!  Answer the phone.

Hello? Hello? Can ya hear me now? Oh, wait do they have that commercial down under?
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

Grandadeo

Hey Bob, are you gunna be "spinin them platters and talkin that chatter" at the Road Kings in a few weeks?  See ya there.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50