galaxie cooling question

Started by river1, May 10, 2007, 11:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

my neighbor has a 63 ford galaxie, the cooling system has what i call a secondary tank sitting above and in front of the intake manifold.

what is this tank called?

do they repop it?

can it be easily bypassed?

TIA

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

It's called an expansion tank. It's used as a filler point for the cooling system, and a place to contain excess coolant as it expands. Ford used it for about 4 years or so. the reason for using it, the top of the radiator was lower than the top of the engine.

I don't know if they are reproduced, but there are good used ones available. Try here http://www.joesrustemporium.com/ He is a buddy from high school, he has reconditioned ones.

I have eliminated them when changing to other engines in Fords, it may be possible with a stocker too. you have to have a pressure cap installed in the system if you eliminate it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

expansion tank used when radiator is lower than the engine.

Same deal the corvette used for years with the round tank stuck up under the fender with rad pressure cap on it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

cool

i'll pass on the info to my neighbor and see what he wants to do.

thanks guys

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

ONE37TUDOR

Those tanks are still available through several outlets like Dearborn and I am even told they can be bought at some auto parts places.
I put an aluminum radiator in my 61 Galaxie and have a pressure cap on it so I got rid of the tank. It works well but you have to be sure you get all the air out and get the system completely full of water.

My original tank worked well to until I decided I would see what it looked like powder coated black! Looks real good but it * the soldier off so now it no longer has a neck and filler attached to it??

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT