What I did tonight..

Started by purplepickup, May 06, 2004, 11:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

The oven to cure the high temp paint on my flowmasters is coming along.  I'm just using some stuff that was laying around and was in the way.

This is an old cabinet that I grabbed out of the trash at work about 20 years ago.

I cut some holes in the bottom and in the shelf.  The grates were out of the trash too.

I put the grates in the shelf and the bottom.

The shelf comes out and I'm going to put some hooks in the top to to hang parts so I can do a lot of different sized stuff.   This whole thing is supposed to set on my gas grill.  I haven't gotten that far with the testing yet so I don't know how it will work but I've got some metal sawhorses that it can set it on too if I need to.

I know this is a little fancy for an oven just to cure the paint on some mufflers but I've been thinking about getting a cheap powdercoat outfit and I can use it to bake the powdercoated parts too.   In the tourist season I can use it to smoke hams and bacon :)
George

58 Yeoman

George, I thought you were supposed to use electric ovens for baking parts. When I put the SS coating on my exhaust manifolds, I took them to work and put them in the Blue Island oven in the lab. Would love to have one of them at home, other than the cost of running the electricity for it. They're vented so no fumes. :)
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rumrumm

You might think about opening "George's Pizza" with that oven! Seriously, though, that is a great idea, and it is big enough that you could do some powder coating on intake manifolds, and other larger parts. Cool!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

purplepickup

Phil, you might be right about using electricity but I'll try it with the gas grill first.  If moisture is a problem, or I catch something on fire, I've got an old electric oven that I could steal the element out of and install it under the base if I have to.  I've got to figure out some cheap insulation too.  The plan for right now is to just lay some fiberglass house insulation on the top and not worry about the sides.  I'm definitely in the prototype stage.

Besides powdercoat baking, I use the ceramic header coating to coat my own headers.  They have to be baked at 500 degrees and this cabinet will hold much larger parts than our oven in the kitchen. :)
George

Jbird

I don't think I'll be ordering any smoked meat from you this tourist season. VHT ceramic flavored ham just isn't one of my favorites I'd seriously consider going all electric, flames and paint fumes mix quite well but the results aren't all that desirable.
Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"The oven to cure the high temp paint on my flowmasters is coming along.  I'm just using some stuff that was laying around and was in the way.

This is an old cabinet that I grabbed out of the trash at work about 20 years ago.

I cut some holes in the bottom and in the shelf.  The grates were out of the trash too.

I put the grates in the shelf and the bottom.

The shelf comes out and I'm going to put some hooks in the top to to hang parts so I can do a lot of different sized stuff.   This whole thing is supposed to set on my gas grill.  I haven't gotten that far with the testing yet so I don't know how it will work but I've got some metal sawhorses that it can set it on too if I need to.

I know this is a little fancy for an oven just to cure the paint on some mufflers but I've been thinking about getting a cheap powdercoat outfit and I can use it to bake the powdercoated parts too.   In the tourist season I can use it to smoke hams and bacon :)

Well at least you finially did sumpin..
Dave

nzsimon

fill the bottom with fire bricks or river stones or even bits of railway tracks , smashed up cast iron etc that way you can preheat and then turn off gas before adding parts
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Dirk35

So, If it works, can I come up and stay for a week or so and go powder coat crazy?  :wink:  :wink: