Pertronix conversion for SBC

Started by Topsterguy, May 08, 2007, 12:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Has anyone used the Pertronix HEI conversion ( from points) on a small blk chev?  I bought one at a swap meet , but the "mechanic wizard" here says they tend to go south a lot - he's had two go on him and a frind of his has had one goo too. At least with points I can change them or set them out on the hiway - when HEI's go you're screwed. I don't have room for a stock style Delco HEI.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

I have installed a few. Mostly on 4 cyl fork lifts, but a few on SBC. If they are going to fail, they do it right away, if they don't fail right away, they last forever. I understand the newer ones are less prone to fail.

On my own cars, I use a Mallory Unilite conversion in a small Delco body, I have no trouble with them, one has been in the car 17 years.

I have also used conversions from Dave's Small Body HEI with no problems, his uses stock GM HEI parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I have used these often, never had one fail. Have one in my 46 coupe for at least 9 years,still works fine. Have one in my 53 F100, no problems. In fact, I have put one on every vehicle I have owned in the last twenty years that did not already have electonic ignition. About 5 other vehicles I guess, never had one problem. Joe

Jbird

Make sure you use a points coil. I mistakenly put an electronic ignition coil on a fork lift with a pertronix kit installed in it. It cooked the module in short order. Just a 70 buck mistake.  Jbird  8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

chopped

Got one in my car. In a plastic bag under the seat is the point stuff just in case. I have heard the old ones will go out if you leave the key on for an extended time.

Sean

I don't know about the points conversion kit, but I tried the Pertronix kit that replaces all the stock stuff in a GM HEI distributor. "Flamethrower" I think is what they called it. I got less than a thousand miles out of it before it failed with no warning.

Don't know what was wrong with it, didn't even bother trying to figure it out. Just tossed it and bought a new, complete distributor.

Bib_Overalls

I have a couple of distributors converted by Dave.  He does good work and I recommend his product.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

reborn55

Going on 10 years with Pertronix in my 55.

bucketmouth

Well the Petronix conversion I fitted to my bucket has been there for about 5 years no problems. Better starting and revs to the redline smoother. The only thing I've got against it is a replacement module is nearly as expensive as the conversion kit. For that reason alone I wouldn't use one again. I'm better of getting a electronic dizzi that has a cheaper replacement module.
Down here it's $220 for the conversion kit and $180 for a replacement module. Either way it's better than having points.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.