Help for a first time painter

Started by seadog, April 22, 2007, 09:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

It's about time to think about painting my glass Deuce 5 window project.   I'd like to paint the underside in my home shop.  Once the bottom is in paint I could go ahead and mount the body and finish the rest of the mechanical assembly and wiring.  Then, once the bugs are out I'd take it to a pro painter for final body work and paint.  How difficult will it be to do the underside at home?  I'll have to rent a compressor and gun and cover the walls of my shop.  What type of paint works best.  I assume it would be a single stage paint, in a dark color.  Any thoughts, cautions, or things to be aware of before I dive in will be appreciated.

phat46

I'd use BC/CC, I'm scared of single stage urethanes and wouldn't use  one without an air supplied hood.

seadog

Quote from: "phat46"I'd use BC/CC, I'm scared of single stage urethanes and wouldn't use  one without an air supplied hood.

Knowing what question to ask is important.  I should have begun my original post by simply asking what's the best paint process to use on the underside?  I forgot about the dangers of single stage paint.  Are there any safe alternatives to basecoat/clearcoat?  I just want something to cover the bottom, it doesn't have to be fancy or even shiney for that matter.  I thought about something like John Deere Blitz Black.  Can this be easily and safely applied in a home shop without a paint booth?

ragdol

I use Valspar semi gloss enamel from the local Farm & Fleet store. You'll want a urethane or base/clear on the firewall though. Larry.

river1

seems to me this is a good way to go

http://www.donshotrodpage.net/Project-57/Page045.html

from DRD57's (don's) page

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

If you want to be safe, you must use a forced air respirator. period. Single stage isn't more dangerous than any other 2 part paint. My exp. has been that it fades in a couple of years. There are cheaper primers and undercoats but top coats are a good place to lose your butt trying to save money. Try smartshoppersinc.com for a variety of products at good prices. I used them a few years ago and had good service. I bought a Hobbyair respirator. It was around $450 from the Autobodystore.com. I bought the kind that has the full hood with the hose attached at the rear. That keeps it out of your painted area. Please don't scrimp on your safety.
TEAM SMART

Kctom

Quote from: "seadog"It's about time to think about painting my glass Deuce 5 window project.   I'd like to paint the underside in my home shop.  Once the bottom is in paint I could go ahead and mount the body and finish the rest of the mechanical assembly and wiring.  Then, once the bugs are out I'd take it to a pro painter for final body work and paint.  How difficult will it be to do the underside at home?  I'll have to rent a compressor and gun and cover the walls of my shop.  What type of paint works best.  I assume it would be a single stage paint, in a dark color.  Any thoughts, cautions, or things to be aware of before I dive in will be appreciated.
Sorry can't help myself, Looks like your body fell off!!!!!!!!!

seadog

Quote from: "Kctom"Sorry can't help myself, Looks like your body fell off!!!!!!!!!

Yea, it does.  Kinda looks like one of those photos where the person is in front of a phone pole and it looks like the pole is growing out of their head.  The body is on its side so I can glass in backing plates for the seat mounts and complete sanding and finishing the bottom prior to paint.

seadog

Quote from: "Kctom"Sorry can't help myself, Looks like your body fell off!!!!!!!!!

Yea, it does.  Kinda looks like one of those photos where the person is in front of a phone pole and it looks like the pole is growing out of their head.  The body is on its side so I can glass in backing plates for the seat mounts and complete sanding and finishing the bottom prior to paint.

donsrods

I'm going to do the underside of my T with truck bed liner.  It is black, tough, and brushable or rollable.  It provides some sound deadening and is easy to clean up after you are driving it for a while.

The problem with painting your undersides now is that the body guy is going to get overspray all over it, unless he is super good about masking it off, and most are not.  With the bedliner, you can simply touch it up with another brushed on coat to freshen it up when the topsides are all painted.

You can also use rocker guard, as it has a texture to it, and is paintable.  

Don