AD Chevy P/U door latches

Started by ragdol, April 22, 2007, 12:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

I did a '51 P/U & can't get the doors to close properly. You have to slam the heck out of them to get them to latch. Using OEM style latches & strikers, both new. What's the combination to get them to latch? I feel that I have tried every which way. Thanks, Larry.

enjenjo

You have new rubber gaskets in them?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "ragdol"I did a '51 P/U & can't get the doors to close properly. You have to slam the heck out of them to get them to latch. Using OEM style latches & strikers, both new. What's the combination to get them to latch? I feel that I have tried every which way. Thanks, Larry.

I believe there is a difference in the early and late AD series truck door latches and strikers.  I ran into this once when I was putting early model doors on a later model truck.  Is it possible you mixed matched the latches and strikers?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

ragdol

Yes there's new rubber on the doors, but I don't think that's the problem, without the strikers on they close fine. It is a '51 truck that has push-button door latches. This could be the problem, although the old, worn setup worked better, not good, but better. Is there a cure, or am I SOL? Thanks, Larry.

enjenjo

Try adjusting the strikers so the door is just proud of being fully closed. Then in a couple weeks readjust them. I've had the same problem with an AD truck, and new door rubber.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

I've tried in, out, up, down, nothing seems to help. Are the early twist handle strikers the same as the later push button? Thinking about it I think that is where my problem lies. The striker isn't flipping over the latch mechanism properly. Thanks for the replies. If someone can think of something else to try, I'm game. Larry.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "ragdol"I've tried in, out, up, down, nothing seems to help. Are the early twist handle strikers the same as the later push button? Thinking about it I think that is where my problem lies. The striker isn't flipping over the latch mechanism properly. Thanks for the replies. If someone can think of something else to try, I'm game. Larry.

I believe there is a difference.  It is minor but they are different.  I really think this is your problem but I am not 100% sure.  It has been awhile since I messed with the original latches.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

There was an article I read somewhere that said to adjust the doors without the latches and then install the latches where they don't cause the door to be out of alignment. I bought new latch assemblies for my 53 all at the same time so I don't know if there was any difference from previous models. I used Chevy Duty which has since changed their name to Classic parts of America. It might be worth your time to call and describe your latch and see if it's correct.
TEAM SMART