Car dollies

Started by tomterrific, May 04, 2004, 02:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomterrific

Harbor FREIGHT opened a new store hereabouts and had a promo on car dollies 4000 pound cap. for $40/pair. Bought two sets and tried them yesterday with my VW bus.  Hah! The only way I could move the rig was swinging the front or rear to the side. Straight back or to the side was no go. Did I get cheapies or is this standard for this type of gizmo? Are steroids required? Think I got hosed.

58 Yeoman

I bought two pair a couple years ago at Big Lots, and they work fine in any direction. They DO have the steel wheels, though. I've seen some at Menard's that have the plastic wheels, and I don't know how well they work.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

I've got a few sets of the HF ones and they work good in my shop where the floor is smooth but one of my storage buildings has a rougher floor and they don't work very good in there.  I had two full sized vans in the shop last winter and was able to move them around pretty easy.  Sometimes you have to push a little hard to get the casters to turn if you're changing directions.  I greased everything real good when I assembled them too.

If they don't work out for you they will probably take them back or they are really handy for storing spare engines and trannys or anything else you need to keep movable.
George

wvcab

Quote from: "tomterrific"Harbor FREIGHT opened a new store hereabouts and had a promo on car dollies 4000 pound cap. for $40/pair. Bought two sets and tried them yesterday with my VW bus.  Hah! The only way I could move the rig was swinging the front or rear to the side. Straight back or to the side was no go. Did I get cheapies or is this standard for this type of gizmo? Are steroids required? Think I got hosed.

thought i was the only weakling here... i bought the same set wth the same reults (with a 50' F1) on them. maybe i will try greasing them....

Robert

MrMopar64

Quote from: "purplepickup"If they don't work out for you they will probably take them back

Harbor Freight will let you return anything for 30 days even if you have used it......... I returned a wire welder that I tried out for the weekend and didn't care for ...... with no problem

MM64 8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "wvcab"
Quote from: "tomterrific"Harbor FREIGHT opened a new store hereabouts and had a promo on car dollies 4000 pound cap. for $40/pair. Bought two sets and tried them yesterday with my VW bus.  Hah! The only way I could move the rig was swinging the front or rear to the side. Straight back or to the side was no go. Did I get cheapies or is this standard for this type of gizmo? Are steroids required? Think I got hosed.

thought i was the only weakling here... i bought the same set wth the same reults (with a 50' F1) on them. maybe i will try greasing them....

Robert

i tried 'em without oiling the casters first,couldn't hardly move 'em!
a little oil does wonders...

i need another set or 2 :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

348tripower

Now if ya really want to move something! I have a very good friend who is working on a 40 Ford Sedan. He asked if he could put it on my 4 post Perfect Park lift and move it outside and wash the underside. I have a wheel kit for it. With the help of the local party store owner (read free beer) and my wife, the four of us rolled that sucker out on the approach. (should have taken a picture) I had a similar problem with direction only to find that the solution was a bit of training for the Princess. Seems she was pushing straight as opposed to pushing at the angle needed to straighten things up. She passed the 5 second class and is now certified as a pusher. I do think that I am going to fix the rear wheels so I can lock them and make a tongue for the front so I can move it with the old 9N Ford. My main moves would be straight in and out. Would be a lot less wear and tear on the Princess.:lol:
Don
Don Colliau

47wood

Our local Big Lots has them for $40 a pair with the steel wheels ...100 yards across the parking lot HF has the exact same ones for $80 a pair! ...it pays to comparison shop. :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

C9

"Would be a lot less wear and tear on the Princess. "

Better a Princess than the Queen of Visa.... :lol:

I got a pair of the HF ones.
A little oil on the swivel probably wouldn't hurt.
So far they're working fine on the 32 - which isn't too heavy with perhaps 1000# on the rear axle total.

I hear that some guys leave their car/project on them.
Gonna be Bumper Car City when the earthquake hits....  :wink:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.