Wiring

Started by STEVE1103, April 13, 2007, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE1103

Need some wiring  information for a Ford, I have a 428 in a 55 F100, want to rewire it. Want to put in an electronic distributor, and a one wire altenator, have a new light switch and ignition switch, with a starter button. and an E/z wiring harness. Also was told if you run halogen headlights you need a relay of some kind? Thanks :?

enjenjo

You can use a Duraspark out of a later model 390, bolts right in, you may want to rework the curve. If you don't want the big Duraspark module, you can use a GM HEI module, and hide it under the distributor.

The Halogen headlights should have a relay, I use a Bosch, or Potter and Brumfield accessory relay available most anywhere, and easy to wire.

The rest of it is removing the old, and installing the new. Specific questions will get specific answers.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Learpilot

Quote from: "enjenjo"You can use a Duraspark out of a later model 390, bolts right in, you may want to rework the curve. If you don't want the big Duraspark module, you can use a GM HEI module, and hide it under the distributor.  

The Halogen headlights should have a relay, I use a Bosch, or Potter and Brumfield accessory relay available most anywhere, and easy to wire.  

The rest of it is removing the old, and installing the new. Specific questions will get specific answers.
I would not use a one wire alternator ! A one wire alternator just checks the output of the alternator not the load from the car. Read the article from www.madelectrical.com . Go to the top and click on the Electrical Tech section. There are some great articles about one wire alternators as well as headlights. I think it will help you a lot.  
I have a EZ Wiring harness in my Dodge and it was real easy as well as fast to install. One more thing put all your high amp draw items on a relays like headlights , A/C, Electric Fan, ect. If you use a standard ignition switch do not exceed 60 amps or it will melt. I know from experience. That is how I found out I needed to put my A/C on a relay. The A/C will pull 30 to 40 amps alone.
Rick Harris