Tuna Boat - Update

Started by msuguydon, April 10, 2007, 09:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Nice job on completing your home work assignment, and you guys did it in the allotted seven days.   :P

Here is what I have done so far.  After reading all of the suggestions and recommendations, I realized things might go a tad easier if I had some informed help.  I asked a few guys that belong to my car club and one of the guys owns a auto repair place and offered to help.  

I took the 58 to his place.  I told him what happened and what you guys had said, we pulled the tire and rim and took a look at the hub and axle, we gave the axle a little poke and it was moving.  So he concurs that it is a bearing.  He suggested that we don't start pulling stuff off until we get some parts in hand.  We called NAPA and have a rear bearing and retainers etc., being delivered tomorrow to his shop.

He also recommend that I replace the rear brake shoes because the one was saturated in fluid.  

The game plan is to pull the rim, axle and replace the bearing.  Depending on the shape of the broken bearing, he says we may have two options.

Option 1, he has some tool to flush the differential going through the drain plug.  If the bearing looks really torn up, he says we might want to pull the other side so we can really clean and flush the diff.

I am paying for parts and a very reduced labor rate for his time and am helping/learning/fetching tools and coffee.  Seems like a good plan.

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

KustomLincolnLady

Great news!  well except for the cost. but at least your getting a discount on some of it :P
Debb

moparrodder

You're lucky you found someone in your club that has a shop and is willing to let you help and learn, most places wouldn't do that .  The bearing/seal for my son's T bucket was just under a hundred bucks and was the only one in captivity in a hundred and fifty miles so I grabed it and counted myself lucky.  I'm glad things are looking up for you and in no time you'll be cruzin in comfort again!!!

Bill

enjenjo

Moser engineering has the bearing at a much better price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

In the old days, we just used to keep junk yard rear ends around so that we would have a supply of axels (in case we broke one). we used to go through the pile of axels and use the one that had the best feeling bearing. I don't remember exactly but the Hollender in my mind seems to remember all of the '56 to '64 axels interchange (left to left and right to right). I think the '55s used different bearings. Now would be the time to start hording all those pieces. Convince everyone in your club that they need to up-grade to a 9" Ford and you'll help get the old rear end out of their way. GPster

Sounds like a great solution though the price of the parts seems a bit pricey!Good luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Good deal don.. I follow franks lead and if not order your bearings and stuff from moser id sure shop around. I know they can be had cheaper.
The good part is your going to learn sumpin new..
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

GPster

I think he wanted it to be somewhere else (not jacked up in someone's garage) this weekend. This could be one of those     You pay the price or take your chances    weekends. GPster

msuguydon

Quote from: "GPster"I think he wanted it to be somewhere else (not jacked up in someone's garage) this weekend. This could be one of those     You pay the price or take your chances    weekends. GPster

Yes, indeed that is the case.

I had set this weekends show in Effingham as a goal several months back.  My goal was to have the car safe, safer, and ready to go.  Other than having the wipers in place, I had achieved my goals until the bearing problem cropped up.  

So your right, I am, was, willing to pay a little more to reach my goal, even if it is a self-imposed goal.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart